The Game Picks went much better yesterday than they did the day before. It wasn't a blockbuster day by any means but it was decent at least. It was sort of a strange day. Carlos Zambrano didn't walk anyone, which is a surprise. But he still lost. There were two inside the park homers around the league and Adam Lind for the Blue Jays caught a line drive and started a triple play. How's that for things you don't see every day?
There will be sixteen games on the schedule today as the Tigers' home game against the Rangers was rained out. Should be a fun day around the majors. Here are Saturday's picks:
- The Tigers sweep the Rangers: The Rangers face the two best Tigers' pitchers in Rick Porcello and Justin Verlander. Those two should both win over Matt Harrison and Neftali Feliz.
- The Reds over the Cubs: Mike Leake should shut down the Cubs anemic offense and Paul Maholm has not been good so far this year for the Cubs, which really is no surprise.
- The Nationals over the Marlins: If Stephen Strasburg is tipping pitches, that will be corrected. But even if you know what's coming, most of the time, you can't hit it. Anibal Sanchez is highly underrated, but he won't be enough.
- The Giants over the Mets: Don't know what to do in this game. Ryan Vogelsong and Mike Pelfrey have not been impressive. The offenses for both teams aren't great. But somebody has to win the game.
- The White Sox over the Mariners: Is it safe to say that Adam Dunn isn't as bad as last year? Blake Beavan has been good in his two starts, but still not a believer. Phil Humber makes his second start and should have more command than his last outing.
- The Red Sox over the Yankees: Not feeling good about a Freddy Garcia start. Felix Doubront has been the Red Sox' best pitcher (Not), but he should give up less runs than Freddy.
- The Cardinals over the Pirates: There is a lot to like about this year's Cardinals. They look very solid in all aspects of the game. Jake Westbrook over Kevin Correia.
- The Rockies over the Brewers: Marco Estrada getting the start weakens the bullpen that will be asked to pitch more innings today because Estrada is starting. Not good. Drew Pomeranz has to be better than his first start, though.
- The Bay Rays over the Twins: Carl Pavano knocked off the Yankees, but the Yankees didn't feature a starter in that game the caliber of James Shields.
- The Royals over the Blue Jays: Generally never take a pitcher making his major league debut. Works out less often than it works. Drew Hutchinson is that guy for the Blue Jays. Luis Mendoza starts for the Royals. This could get messy.
- The Braves over the Diamondbacks: The Braves are on fire. Joe Saunders has been better than expected for the Diamondbacks. But still going with the Braves and Tommy Hanson.
- The Phillies over the Padres: Love Cory Luebke. But Roy Halladay is Roy Halladay.
- The Orioles over the Angels: Jake Arrieta upsets the Angels and Jered Weaver. Feeling this one.
- The Athletics over the Indians: Not feeling Jeanmar Gomez. Plus, Brandon McCarthy is too good not to win one of these times. He just needs a few runs of support.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Dodgers over the Astros: Clayton Kershaw is not going to lose to the Astros. Certainly not to Kyle Weiland.
Games of the Day: 10-6