Is there anything worse in life than oversleeping? You wake up and your immediate thought it, "What the..." It's awful. Your entire day is messed up. Everything seems rushed. Crap. Hate this feeling. And then once you do come out the clouds, you have to deal with seriously stupid picks like the Mets beating the Braves and the Blue Jays beating the Bay Rays. Hindsight. Whooboy. Still can't believe the Yankees didn't knock Jason Marquis out of the game in that first inning. Okay...getting some perspective. Nine of the picks were correct. The Pirates pick behind James McDonald, was brilliant, as was the pick for the Athletics behind Shrek. The pick for the Reds? Not so much. But still, it wasn't a bad day. This picker is simply all messed up this morning. Where is that coffee!
There is no time to spare on further niceties. It's late. The picker is late. There are twelve games on the schedule today. Not too many teams are getting breathers early this season. Here are the late picks:
- The Marlins over the Cubs: Yes, Ricky Nolasco is going to want to beat his old team. No, Jeff Samardzija is not going to win every one of his starts. And yes, Hanley Ramirez is back.
- The Brewers over the Dodgers: No, Aaron Harang is not going to strike out nine straight Brewers. Harang won't even get nine straight Brewers out. Randy Wolf needs to be less in the suctitude department to win though.
- The Cardinals over the Reds: Seriously, is there a death watch in Cincinnati concerning their manager? The Reds seem to have the talent to win a lot of games. They never seem to do so and the Cardinals have their number. Adam Wainwright with the win over Bronson Arroyo.
- The White Sox over the Orioles: This White Sox team are confusing. Weren't they supposed to be awful? But they aren't, right? Gavin Floyd over Jason Hammel.
- The Nationals over the Astros: This is what should happen but there is no confidence that it will happen. First of all, Bud Norris is pretty darn good. Second of all, Edwin Jackson is as predictable as a cornered squirrel.
- The Yankees over the Twins: Phil Hughes better throw a good game soon or he's never going to get another chance. Anthony Swarzak simply isn't a big league starter in this dumb picker's opinion.
- The Rangers over the Tigers: Yu Darvish hasn't set the world on fire so far. But he doesn't have to with that Rangers' offense who should have a good night against young Adam Wilk.
- The Blue Jays over the Bay Rays: Henderson Alvarez might be the best young pitcher nobody has heard of before. He beats Jeremy Hellickson that everyone has heard about.
- The Angels over the Athletics: Tommy Milone shows promise. But C.J. Wilson has been great so far. The Angels need to score a few runs to win though.
- The Phillies over the Padres: Even the Phillies should be able to score a few runs off of Joe Wieland. Which is all Vance Worley will need to pick up the win.
- The Mariners over the Indians: Felix Hernandez hasn't exactly come out of the gate with fire. But he is too good not to win sooner or later, especially facing Josh Tomlin.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Braves over the Diamondbacks: Mike Minor is simply a better pitcher than Josh Collmenter. That is all.
Games of the Day: 8-6