Finally! A breakthrough day! If it was a warm, sunny day here, it would be a miracle. Only three incorrect picks. The Red Sox lost. The Bay Rays lost and the Cubs lost. But everything else was correct and that's a relief. And the Braves won a game and Chipper Jones was a part of it. What's not to love about baseball?
For only the second time this season, all thirty teams are in action today. Being "getaway day," several of them will occur during the daytime. Sweet. Here are Wednesday's picks:
- The Indians over the White Sox: There are a lot of reservations about Cleveland's offense so far. But Justin Masterson should prevail over John Danks in a good pitching match up. Masterson looked impossible to hit his first time out.
- The Reds over the Cardinals: Lance Berkman has a sore calf and will probably sit. Johnny Cueto was great his first outing and he should be the difference in this one facing Jaime Garcia.
- The Blue Jays over the Red Sox: Maybe this picker is really starting to believe in these Blue Jays. Ricky Romero beats Jon Lester.
- The Tigers over the Rays: Come on. Justin Verlander. Please! No-hitter! Perfect game! Hi! The Tigers will hit at least one rocket off of James Shields.
- The Nationals over the Mets: It's great to see Johan Santana back. But going with Stephen Strasburg even though the Nationals never score any runs for him.
- The Cubs over the Brewers: Perhaps this picker is giving the Cubs too much credit. But Dempster is good at home and Yovani Gallardo was less than inspiring his first time out. Gallardo usually is good against the Cubs though.
- The Athletics over the Royals: Still believe in Brandon McCarthy despite his rough first outing. Bruce Chen, though, is a magician. Could be a stupid pick, but staying with it.
- The Padres over the Diamondbacks: Upset pick of the day. Cory Luebke pitches well at home and the Diamondbacks pitch Joe Saunders for the first time this year. They could regret that.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: The Phillies are struggling offensively and face Josh Johnson. No easy feat there. But you can never pick against Roy Halladay, can you?
- The Yankees over the Orioles: C.C. Sabathia versus Jake Arrieta. It's time for Sabathia to put it into overdrive. The Yankees will need him to go deep as the bullpen is gassed and missing Soriano. Arrieta has looked great so far though.
- The Braves over the Astros: Randall Delgado makes his debut for the Braves and will be countered by Wandy Rodriguez. Wandy is a favorite here, but his team. Oh, his team...
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Have this sneaking suspicion that Kevin Millwood will pitch well tonight in his old haunts in Texas. But Colby Lewis is supposedly the Rangers #1 starter. Though this picker still doesn't believe he should be in the rotation. The Rangers have too much firepower on offense.
- The Giants over the Rockies. Hesitant to trust in Tim Lincecum. There are concerns again about his velocity. But at least he has pitched in Coors Field before and knows what to expect. Jeremy Guthrie has not. Good luck there, Jeremy.
- The Dodgers over the Pirates: There is something different about this Dodgers team this season. They could be a factor. Chad Billingsley was extremely effective his first time out. Erik Bedard goes for the Pirates and he could be effective as well.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Angels over the Twins: Albert Pujols has been too quiet. It is time to bust out. Jered Weaver will do his thing and Carl Pavano won't be able to keep up.
Games of the Day: 4-2