A blazing start to this weeks pick melted into a goo of blah last night as only six of the fourteen picks came in correctly. Verlander lost. Pettitte lost. Shields lost. Fuentes blew a save. It was not pretty. A look on the bright side says the week is still up eleven picks. But just like the rain outside, it does not make the sun shine. Perhaps Wednesday will be better.
- The Indians over the Royals: We start with a tough call. Bruce Chen could have his soft stuff working and mess up the Indians. Or Jeanmar Gomez could pitch a good game. Which is more likely? Who knows. The Indians are home so we'll go with that.
- The White Sox over the Bay Rays: Okay, today is not going to be fun. Alex Cobb versus Jose Quintana? Umm... The White Sox are hot offensively and the Rays are not. So that's the call.
- The Twins over the Athletics: Yeah, Francisco Liriano. He of the 0-5 record and all those walks. Man. He faces Tyson Ross and an offense that besides Josh Reddick, is nonexistent.
- The Cubs over the Padres: Isn't it great when two really bad teams play and you get a true pecking order or the worst teams in baseball? The Cubs will win their third in a row and Ryan Dempster will finally win a game he deserves. Anthony Bass will not get in the way.
- The Reds over the Pirates: Toyed with the idea of going with A.J. Burnett for the Pirates. But he gives up homers and the Reds hit homers. Johnny Cueto is the better pick here.
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: Another incredibly tough pick. Was Brandon Morrow's last start just a blip? Will he again be dominant? Can Jason Hammel continue to be the unexpected ace for the Orioles. Your guess is as good as this one.
- The Tigers over the Red Sox: Putting all the eggs in The Emoticon's basket as Drew Smyly has to throw a great game for this pick to come in. Jon Lester has been gopher prone and Prince Fielder is hot. Gosh, this is a tough day.
- The Phillies over the Mets: In the rhyming match-up of the day, it is Cliff Lee versus Dillon Gee. Lee can't stay winless forever.
- The Cardinals over the Braves: Tim Hudson has struggled career-wise against the Cardinals. But Kyle Lohse has to be pretty darned good for this pick to come in. Another tough call.
- The Nationals over the Marlins: This is admittedly an emotional pick as this picker dearly wants Chien-Ming Wang to win. Josh Johnson might have something to say about it though.
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Okay, so the Mariners scored ten runs yesterday. But the Rangers are still the best team in the AL. Derek Holland wins and Blake Beavan loses.
- The Astros over the Rockies: Two questions: First, will Lucas Harrell's sinker work in Coors? Secondly, can Christian Friedrich pitch well at home and at Coors? The first question is more likely to be yes.
- The Yankees over the Angels: This picker will blithely go on picking the Yankees in the face of the knowledge that they just can't seem to get it together as a team and always seem to bring out the best in the other team. Ivan Nova has a passing chance to beat Ervin Santana.
- The Dodgers over the Brewers: Hard to think that Clayton Kershaw will be as bad as he was last time out. He should get back on track at home and prevent more runs than Yovani Gallardo.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Diamondbacks over the Giants: Ian Kennedy has beaten Tim Lincecum on every head to head outing. But neither is pitching effectively this season.
Games of the Day: 31-22