While not overly unhappy that the Mariners beat the Angels again, the victory did demolish the Game of the Day pick for the sixth straight day. Remember, the Game of the Day is the pick that seems the most assured to be correct. Isn't that sad? Or is it good news that there is such parity around baseball that you can't count on anything? Whatever the case, please make it stop. Otherwise, Wednesday wasn't a bad day. The Orioles continue to surprise with their resourcefulness. The Braves are having a great series against the Marlins. Alternate reality: The Marlins stopped hitting for some reason. There were a few more bad picks, but overall, a good day. But that Game of the Day thing...
There are twelve games on Thursday's schedule before we head into interleague play this weekend. Six are played during the day. Here's how the games should go:
- The Indians over the Tigers: Okay, Tigers, you win. You stink and picking you has been fun. Now have a nice life. Derek Lowe over Casey Crosby.
- The Phillies over the Dodgers: Cole Hamels is the Phillies only sure thing. Aaron Harang will allow even the Phillies to score two or three runs for the win.
- The Nationals over the Mets: R.A. Dickey is simply due for a bad game. It has to happen some time. Perhaps Bryce Harper will like knuckleballs. Meanwhile, if last year was any indication, Chien-Ming Wang struggled in his first start back and then just kept getting better.
- The Cubs over the Brewers: Let's see...the poor Cubs' offense has a better chance of hitting Randy Wolf than the decent Brewers' offense has of hitting Matt Garza.
- The Rangers over the Athletics: Brandon McCarthy can be tough, but is 1-4 lifetime against his former team. Yu Darvish will someday stop walking people and will be amazing.
- The Yankees over the Bay Rays: The Bay Rays' offense is in a deep funk and have no answers for C.C. Sabathia in their lineup. And this is a different Sabathia they beat in the first series of the season. David Price will keep the Rays in the game. Great match up.
- The Marlins over the Braves: A match up of Mark Buehrle versus Mike Minor should favor the Marlins, but we'll have to see what happens. Buehrle had won four straight before a rain delay wrecked his last outing.
- The Red Sox over the Orioles: These Orioles keep defying the odds. The Red Sox should be able to wait out Brian Matusz and Clay Buchholz should win. But things never seem to go the way they should when it comes to the Orioles.
- The Pirates over the Reds: This one is just a hunch that Kevin Correia will have a good day and Mike Leake will not. The Pirates are playing tough.
- The Cardinals over the Astros: Lance Lynn stopped throwing strikes in his last start. That will get fixed in this one and he should beat the Astros. But again, the Astros are hanging tough with everyone and J.A. Happ is much better than last year.
- The White Sox over the Blue Jays: Henderson Alvarez has had a BABIP market correction his last few starts. That might reverse itself tonight. You never know with ground ball guys. But Jake Peavy is the difference in this one.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Giants over the Padres: The Padres are any unwanted pitcher's last resort. There was Jeff Suppan and now it is Jason Marquis. At least Marquis has found a warmer home than Minnesota. Matt Cain wins.
Games of the Day: 34-27