As terrible as Saturday's picks were, that is how good they were on Sunday. Only four picks were incorrect.. A.J. Burnett was out-pitched by Yovani Gallardo. The Red Sox look far better than the Rays these days. Ben Sheets was brilliant and thus making that Mets' pick stupid. And the Padres again beat the Dodgers. But that was it. Everything else was correct. Funny game, baseball is.
There are twelve games on the schedule today. That is a pretty good Monday. A quick glance at the games give the initial impression that it will not be an easy day for the picks. Here goes:
- The Angels over the Tigers: The Angels one through five hitters are just crushing the ball. Rick Porcello is a BABIP pitcher who could be fine or he could be hit. Heck, he gave up twelve hits in less than four innings in his last start. But the Angels' starter is no picnic either as Ervin Santana has been all over the place this season. His proneness to the long ball might be helped at Comerica.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: Hector Alvarez goes for the Blue Jays. He pitches to contact and has a very low strikeout rate. So it all depends on the Yankees contact. And being in Yankee Stadium should hear that contact be ringing. Phil Hughes must be really on his game though as the Blue Jays have some big boppers in Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion and Colby Rasmus.
- The Reds over the Diamondbacks: The Reds might be a bit flat after that big Cardinals series. But the crowd at home should rouse them up. The Diamondbacks are coming in to Cincinnati as flat as coins left on the railroad tracks. Still don't get the whole Justin Upton thing. There are things nobody is telling us. Wade Miley is the team's only nice story this season. And he won't be enough. Bronson Arroyo needs to keep the ball in the park though.
- The Indians over the Rays: Alex Cobb has been a workhorse for the Rays. He has had his good days and bad days. Who knows which today will be. But the Rays are scuffling badly. The Indians are too. But this picker likes this Zach McAllister kid.
- The Nationals over the Marlins: The series wrapped into Monday, eh? That is good for the Nationals. It gives Ozzie Guillen another chance to yell at Bryce Harper. Edwin Jackson goes for the Nats and that is always an adventure. Carlos Zambrano goes for the Fish. Ditto.
- The Twins over the Orioles: Chris Tillman gets the start for the Orioles. He was good against the Mariners. But every pitcher looks good against the Mariners. Scott Diamond has had a nice season for the Twins and should win this game.
- The Mariners over the Royals: Speaking of the Mariners, here they are. Once again, this picker cannot in good conscience pick any team for which Jonathan Sanchez starts. Jason Vargas is a good pitcher sometimes. Will today be one of those off days?
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: The Cardinals go from the frying pan in the Fiers. Ha! Lance Lynn should win providing he is sharp in Milwaukee against Ryan Braun and the Brewers. No small task there. Mike Fiers goes for the Brewers, hence the stupid joke.
- The Pirates over the Rockies: Anything can happen at Coors, so this pick is far from a lock. Jeff Karstens seems like a better pick than Jeff Francis. But who knows. Francis does have the advantage of knowing what to expect in his home ballpark.But he'll get just 75 pitches.
- The Astros over the Padres: Uh. J.A. Happ over Kip Wells in a blind throw-up-the- hands kind of pick.
- The Phillies over the Dodgers: The Dodgers simply do not score for Nathan Eovaldi. So it doesn't matter if he pitches well or not. Joe Blanton should enjoy the extra dimensions at Dodgers Stadium.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Red Sox over the White Sox: What are the White Sox doing starting young Dylan Axelrod on only two days rest? What the hay, Ventura? The Red Sox will jump on that. Aaron Cook goes for the Red Sox. That will be interesting in and of itself.
Games of the Day: 55-41