After a terrible picking day on Saturday, the first day of the week and month turned the page nicely as only three picks were incorrect all day. Of the three incorrect picks, the most frustrating was the Rangers loss to the A's. The Rangers basically gave the game away by starting Michael Young at third base. The big "hit" of the game went through him and most assuredly would have been handled by Adrian Beltre, who was given a DH night. Another was a BABIP game by Kip Wells who won most unexpectedly. The third incorrect pick was the Tigers again beating a scuffling Tampa Bay club.
The most satisfying correct pick was the Game of the Day where the Indians were selected to beat the Orioles. Matusz struggled as predicted and was shipped to the minors after the game. Shelley Duncan was predicted to have a big game. He did. And Justin Masterson was predicted to have a good game and he did.
There are twelve games on the Monday schedule. The picks:
- The Angels over the Indians: The Indians had a nice series in Baltimore. But the Angels are flying high these days and Jered Weaver is on the mound. The Indians counter with Ubaldo Jimenez, which this picker still can't figure out if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
- The Pirates over the Astros: The picks have ridden James McDonald all season. That will not stop here as he faces the Astros and Jordan Lyles.
- The Tigers over the Twins: Are the Tigers beginning a roll? It seems like it. This series will give us an answer as the Twins are playing pretty well these days. Doug Fister will have to be better than he has been. And the Tigers will have to get to Liam Hendriks.
- The Blue Jays over the Royals: Great. The two most unpredictable teams in baseball square off. This should be lovely. Ricky Romero is an ace that gives up a lot of runs. The Royals can score but find creative ways to lose and blew the entire weekend against the Twins. Everett Teaford is the unknown quantity here.
- The Braves over the Cubs: The Cubs should shut down Jeff Samardzija for a few starts as he looks worn down. Tommy Hanson should win this one.
- The Bay Rays over the Yankees: The Rays have looked awful. But the Yankees always seem to revive them, especially in St. Pete. Freddy Garcia gets the start and that is worrisome. Matt Moore will have to be very good to win.
- The Brewers over the Marlins: Zack Greinke at home? Oh yeah. That should be a lock. Carlos Zambrano can't find the strike zone on a regular basis to pick him to win.
- The Cardinals over the Rockies: The Rockies continue their bizarre rotation strategy. Josh Outman gets his 75 pitches but may not last that long with the Cardinals' lineup. Kyle Lohse just has to be decent to win.
- The Diamondbacks over the Padres: The D- backs can get back in the NL West race if they can put a winning streak together. They are capable to do that. The Padres would be the place to start. Trevor Cahill over Clayton Richard.
- The Athletics over the Red Sox: Jarrod Parker has been terrific of late and the Red Sox are slumping at the plate. That is a good combination. Toss in Daisuke Matsuzaka for good measure.
- The Dodgers over the Reds: The Dodgers' problems are not going away quickly. But the feeling here is that Joey Votto is aching and Chad Billingsley can pitch a good game and steal a win against Homer Bailey.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Orioles over the Mariners: The O's are sinking. But Jason Hammel should be an All Star. He has pitched that well this season. The Mariners are starting Hisashi Iwakuma. That doesn't sound like a good plan.
Games of the Day: 53-33