In the immortal words of the Mamas and the Papas, "Monday, Monday. Can't trust that day." The picks only broke even yesterday in about as blah a day as you could get. The Rays were correctly picked, but the Orioles were not. Those Tigers fooled this picker yet again. The Dodgers seem to be the stupidest pick lately as they keep losing. The Cubs are the hottest team in baseball. What? And the Blue Jays are unfathomable. Ah well. Tuesday is another day.
- The Marlins over the Brewers: Very tough game to pick. Anibal Sanchez might be the best pitcher in the NL who never wins. Marco Estrada hasn't really done anything for the Brewers.
- The Nationals over the Giants: Jordan Zimmermann is terrific even if his record doesn't show it. That other Zimmerman over at third base is hot. Tim Lincecum has looked much better, but a big inning by the Nats will sink him.
- The Indians over the Angels: Dan Haren has not been pitching well. Zach McAllister always seems to pitch well when he gets the chance. Tough pick because the Angels' offense is much better than the Indians.
- The Pirates over the Astros: Another pick for A.J. Burnett. Heaven help us all. But he should beat the Astros though Lucas Harrell has looked really good lately.
- The Tigers over the Twins: Another crappy game to pick. Duane Below gets the start for the Tigers after being in the bullpen all season. That's never encouraging. But Nick Blackburn has had nothing all season. Ugh.
- The Blue Jays over the Royals: Another crappy game to pick. What is going on here? Vin Mazzaro versus Brett Cecil? What do you do with that?
- The Braves over the Cubs: So after going 0-6, Chris Volstad was sent to the minors. His ERA there has been 4.52. That doesn't offer any encouragement at all to pick the Cubs. Jair Jurrjens is almost the exact same story as Volstad. So...what is going on today? Is this somebody's idea of a picking joke?
- The Yankees over the Rays: The Yankees have gone zero for Tampa for the last two years now. Today is their only realistic chance to win a game this series as tomorrow's Price versus Phelps match up strongly favors the Rays. With Ivan Nova on the mound for the Yanks, he has to be better than James Shields.
- The Mets over the Phillies: A tough game to call but at least for better reasons. Jon Niese and Vance Worley are both good pitchers. The Mets' offense is simply better than the Phillies' right now.
- The White Sox over the Rangers: Roy Oswalt has two wins. But he really hasn't been all that impressive. Chris Sale goes for the White Sox and that has been an event lately.
- The Padres over the Diamondbacks: What a fun game this will be! Andrew Cashner versus Trevor Bauer? It doesn't get much more fun than that. Cashner is the more overpowering of the two, so leaning that way.
- The Red Sox over the Athletics: Bartolo Colon is back. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Depends on the Red Sox whose offense has shriveled up the last week or so. Jon Lester gets the start for Boston and that seals the pick.
- The Mariners over the Orioles: Felix Hernandez is back to lights out and seems impossible to hit lately. Wei-Yin Chen is no slouch, but he can't keep up with King Felix if he is right.
- The Reds over the Dodgers: Two pitchers having good years this season: Chris Capuano and Johnny Cueto. Cueto will have something to prove as he was snubbed from the All Star Game. And the Dodgers can't hit right now.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Cardinals over the Rockies: Joe Kelly will hold the Rockies down just enough for the Cardinal offense to do its thing against Jeff Francis, who has been tough lately.
Games of the Day: 53-34