Sunday was a good day with ten out of fifteen on the correct side. Hey! Even the Game of the Day was correct for a change. That IS a good day. Picking the Red Sox was on the Steve Martin side (wild and crazy). The Giants seemed like a good pick. But the picks did mention that Clayton Richard was usually good at home. Should have listened to that inner dialogue. Picking against the Mariners is a bad idea these days. And it was really thought that the Marlins would easily win their game. But it did not turn out that way. Those were the five bum picks. Oh...and one pick took nineteen innings to turn out correct. Geez.
Last Sunday started out with the exact same picking record and then Monday turned into a horrible day. This picker shall try to avoid such a fate this week. Monday's picks:
- The Nationals over the Braves: The Nats at home are a tough team to beat. The offense is clicking and the pitching has been excellent. MLB.com lists Gio Gonzalez as the starter. That can't be right as he pitched (and won) on Sunday. It will probably be Jordan Zimmermann. Tim Hudson has been money for the Braves. But the Nats win this one.
- The Phillies over the Reds: The Reds are a juggernaut right now. But if anyone can slow them down, it is Roy Halladay. Halladay was not sharp his last time out, but that was last time. Mike Leake goes for the Reds and he was very good his last time out.
- The Mets over the Rockies: Will R.A. Dickey's pitch flutter at Coors in that high altitude? If it does, he should win over Alex White. If it doesn't, all bets are off. Ike Davis hits a homer.
- The Bay Rays over the Royals: Toyed with the idea of picking the Royals and Will Smith, who has been very good lately. But, nah. The Rays have been unbeatable of late and until that ends, you can't pick against them. Jeremy Hellickson gets the start.
- The Orioles over the Rangers: Miguel Gonzalez has to be on his game to beat the Rangers. But there is no faith here in Ryan Dempster in the Rangers' ballpark and in the American League. Those Orioles are hanging in there.
- The Yankees over the White Sox: The White Sox are on their heels a bit and had a bad weekend. The Yankees had a good weekend and seem back on track after a so- so stretch of a couple of weeks. Here is how this game will go. Freddy Garcia will struggle early. But so will Gavin Floyd. Garcia hangs tough for five innings and then Derek Lowe goes four to seal the game.
- The Diamondbacks over the Marlins: Tough one here. Mark Buehrle and Joe Saunders could be decent and cancel each other out. If that happens, the D-Backs' bullpen is better than the Marlins'. Plus, the Diamondbacks have a better offense.
- The Athletics over the Twins: Brian Duensing simply isn't having a good season. His stuff is marginal at best and he is a BABIP pitcher. Brandon McCarthy looked very good in his last start and if he gets the Twins to pound the ball weakly into the dirt, he should win.
- The Padres over the Pirates: The Pirates have to be gassed after that 19-inning win and then having to travel all the way to San Diego. Today's scheduled pitcher, Wandy Rodriguez, had to pitch in that marathon. So some one will have to be called up. Edinson Volquez goes for the Padres.
- The Mariners over the Indians: Ubaldo Jimenez could have a good day against the Mariners' offense. Kevin Millwood will not allow many runs with that Indians' offense that has had a real problem scoring. Another tough call.
- The Dodgers over the Giants: What a great match-up this is! Madison Bumgarner goes for the Giants against Clayton Kershaw. Kershaw has pitched terrific against the Giants and is at home. Bumgarner is not as good on the road as at home. That combination leads to this pick:
And the Game of the Day!
- The Brewers over the Cubs: Mark Rogers has lost three wins to his bullpen this season and still has not recorded his first MLB win. That will come tonight against the Cubs. Justin Germano is pretty good though for the Cubbies.
Games of the Day: 73-58