Sunday was not a good day for the old game picker. The day finished a pick under .500 and the Game of the Day feature was incorrect for the first time in a while. Among the incorrect picks were the Astros (what was the picker thinking!?), Pirates, Diamondbacks, Royals, Dodgers and the Rangers. Some good teams in there. But, if baseball was easy to predict, the games would be a lot more boring.
There are eleven games on the schedule for Monday including one day game in Boston. Here are the picks:
- The Royals over the Red Sox: Yeah, this pick did not work out yesterday. But this day game in Boston features the return of Daisuke Matsuzaka to Fenway. His home fans boo him mercilessly and even when healthy has made every game an adventure. The only problem with this pick is wondering which Luke Hochevar will show up today.
- The Orioles over the White Sox: The Orioles refuse to go away quietly. Wei-Yin Chen has been terrific for the Orioles all season with only a clunker or two along the way. The White Sox go with Francisco Liriano who looks a lot better in the White Sox uniform than a Twins one.
- The Athletics over the Indians: Brett Anderson looked terrific in his first start and the Indians should not pose any serious problems for him. And Mr. Wagner still thinks Roberto Hernandez is still a Fausto. That was a literary reference in case you missed it.
- The Cardinals over the Pirates: The Cards have risen to the top of the wild card standings and the Pirates are sinking. That is a sad statement, But that's where we are. A.J. Burnett goes for the Pirates and he hasn't been shut down good for a few games now. He will struggle against Allen Craig and company. Kyle Lohse is quietly going about having a great season.
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: The Yankees are back home and face a pitcher they enjoy facing in Henderson Alvarez. Every team Alvarez has faced has enjoyed him lately. David Phelps gets the start for the Yankees so the bullpen better be deep and good.
- The Brewers over the Cubs: The Brewers have been pretty warm lately. The Cubs are the Cubs. It took Marco Estrada sixteen starts to get his first win. It will take only five days to get his second. Justin Germano goes for the Cubs. Doesn't a name like, "Germano," require a more Mediterranean name than, "Justin?"
- The Bay Rays over the Rangers: David Price just might be the best pitcher in the American League right now. He seems unstoppable. Derek Holland has shut down stuff for the Rangers and he'll need to be near perfect for this pick to be wrong.
- The Mariners over the Twins: The M's were a big gypped. yesterday when they were in their game with the White Sox and it was postponed after seven innings. No matter. They will take care of the Twins for one reason: Felix Hernandez. Who also just might be the best pitcher in the American League. Liam Hendriks will be the Twins' sacrificial lamb.
- The Dodgers over the Rockies: The first start for the Dodgers by Josh Beckett would be an automatic yes pick anywhere. But there is real concern here that his first start comes at Coors. But, Jeff Francis should get pounded by the Dodgers.
- The Reds over the Diamondbacks: The Reds are just too good to consider picking against even if Tyler Skaggs (who has a country singer name) looks like the real deal for Arizona. The Reds go with Bronson Arroyo. The D-backs seem flatter than a pancake.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Braves over the Padres: Casey Kelly makes his major league debut and in case you missed it, he is the Padres top prospect. But that he has fought elbow inflammation all season is worrisome and doesn't make this pick feel very good. The Padres have been on a roll, but the Braves are fighting for a playoff spot. Paul Maholm gets ground balls and in Petco, his mistakes will die in the outfield.
Games of the Day: 79-59