Another Game of the Day loss. That is three in a row and infuriating. The rest of the day was okay or at least in the positive numbers. Yu Darvish, Phil Hughes and Johnny Cueto were terrific. Stephen Strasburg was not. Kris Medlen was awesome. Chris Sale was not. Yovani Gallardo and Tommy Milone were the bomb. Vance Worley was bombed. And so it went.
Wednesday is always one of the best days of the week because it is getaway day for some teams and you can count on some day baseball. Here are Wednesday's picks:
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: If C.C. Sabathia pitches like he did his first game back from the disabled list, this should be a win for the Yankees. Injuries have made the Yankees' offense a little tepid, but if they score three or so against J.A. Happ, they should win. This must be pitchers with initials day.
- The Dodgers over the Rockies: The Dodgers are still sputtering and pitching is part of the problem. If Matt Kemp's wall collision keeps him out of this game, then all the worse for the Dodgers. But overall, Joe Blanton seems like a better pick at Coors Field than Drew Pomeranz who can't throw his curve in his home park.
- The Reds over the Diamondbacks: Mat Latos has been somewhat unreliable of late. But he is a much better option than Patrick Corbin in this one.
- The Braves over the Padres: The Braves finally snapped the Padres' winning streak yesterday and typically, it was a low scoring game. The same will probably rule today. Tommy Hanson has really struggled and there has been talk of removing him from the rotation. As if. If he is not part of that rotation, the Braves are in big trouble. Hanson gets the win today and Eric Stults, who has been terrific, gets the hard luck loss.
- The Orioles over the White Sox: The White Sox have not announced a starter for this game. That is never good. The White Sox just don't seem like a playoff team, do they? The Orioles, on the other hand, never seem to lose. Miguel Gonzalez has been solid for them in the rotation...as improbable as that sounds.
- The Phillies over the Mets: Matt Harvey is very good. But it is hard to pick against Cole Hamels.
- The Athletics over the Indians: The Indians are a sad team these days. And Cory Kluber isn't having much fun either. Well, maybe he is, but the results aren't there. The first inning has been his big problem. Though he did pitch well against the Yankees recently. Travis Blackley goes for the A's.
- The Pirates over the Cardinals: Boy was that Cards pick ever wrong yesterday. Wow, that was a lopsided game. The Cards likely will be without Yadier Molina who got banged up good in a collision at the plate with Josh Harrison yesterday. Wandy Rodriguez over Joe Kelly.
- The Rangers over the Bay Rays: The Rangers have out-pitched the Rays in this series and have won the first two games. The Rays offense is their problem. They have enough pitching. A lot will depend on how good Matt Harrison is for Texas today. If he is on his game, the Rangers should score a few off of Alex Cobb.
- The Nationals over the Marlins: This same pick was made to look silly yesterday. But the Marlins scoring that many runs seems more a fluke than anything else. Jacob Turner is erratic with his command and that is what will give the Nats a win today behind Ross Detwiler.
- The Brewers over the Cubs: Jeff Samardzija is much better than his record indicates. But he gets no help on the field from those behind him. Mike Fiers should get the win if he is solid.
- The Tigers over the Royals: Boy are these Tigers a pain in the neck to predict. What is their problem, anyway? They should beat the Royals and yet don't. They should be going all cylinders down the stretch, but they aren't. Anibal Sanchez over Bruce Chen.
- The Mariners over the Twins: The Mariners are on fire! Jason Vargas has had a very good season. Samuel Deduno had a good start to the season, but the league is catching up to him.
- The Angels over the Red Sox: This game could be very high scoring. Zach Stewart gets the start for the Red Sox. He was the guy the Red Sox got for Kevin Youkilis from the White Sox. C.J. Wilson hasn't won since June and has been getting pounded. Can he finally pull it together tonight?
And the Game of the Day!
- The Giants over the Astros: The last time Barry Zito was picked against, he made the pick look silly. Okay, Barry, going with you this time. Being that it is the Astros makes the pick easier. Dallas Keuchel goes for the Astros.
Games of the Day: 79-61 grrrrr