Tuesday, April 09, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Tuesday: April 9, 2013

Monday was a very good day here for the Game Picks. The only two incorrect picks were (of course) the Cardinals, a team that blew a save in just about the most spectacular fashion you could imagine. Between Mitchell Boggs and Scrabble, the Cardinals allowed nine runs in the ninth inning. Nine. Amazing. The other incorrect pick was picking the Cubs to beat the Brewers. This game saddened me because it made me realize that I am no smarter than your average general manager because I keep thinking Edwin Jackson is better than he actually is. Plus, in some small defense, I did not expect Ryan Braun to play and he did.

But why focus on the negative when it was such a good day? Well, because I am a perfectionist striving for perfection. I never bowled a perfect game but I got to 279 on five occasions. So I kept trying. I still have not recorded a hole in one. But I will keep trying. I have never had a perfect picking day. But I will keep trying.

This is a weird Tuesday as there are fourteen games on the schedule. The Orioles and Red Sox have the day off. I have never seen a Tuesday without a full slate of scheduled games. Weird. Tuesday's picks:

  • The Blue Jays over the Tigers: Brandon Morrow is going to have a big game and the Blue Jays, with Jose Bautista back in the lineup, will get a few runs off of Anibal Sanchez.
  • The Dodgers over the Padres: The Padres have gotten off to a terrible start and employing pitchers like Clayton Richard does not help. He will at least be competitive at home in his big ballpark. But that big ballpark benefits Josh Beckett too. I am no longer high on Beckett, but he should be better than Richard.
  • The Nationals over the White Sox: The White Sox will lose the DH, so Dunn will either sit or play the field. Neither is a fun prospect for them. Jake Peavy is a great pitcher, but the Nats will get at least three off of him and that will be enough for Gio Gonzalez.
  • The Yankees over the Indians: The Indians had a great off season, but they did not acquire the pitching they needed. And that pitching will hurt them all season. Carlos Carrasco will not be an answer in the rotation. Going with Andy Pettitte and the Yankees winning their third in a row.
  • The Braves over the Marlins: Some comment last week blasted me for having the temerity to state that Kris Medlen would not be as good as last year. Seriously? How could anyone be that good? His first start was already a sign that I was right. But Medlen should be fine against the punchless Marlins. Wade LeBlanc is today's victim.
  • The Cubs over the Brewers: I have a feeling the Cubs are going to be a team I pick way too often this season. But I like Travis Wood's chances at home against Wily Peralta.
  • The Bay Rays over the Rangers: I do not feel good about either team in this one. The Rays will start Roberto Hernandez and yeah, the Rays have a history of turning around non-productive pitchers, but still. And I am tepid about Nick Tepesch. This could be a high scoring game.
  • The Royals over the Twins: The Royals are a better team than the Twins. It is as simple as that. Add in that Jeremy Guthrie is better than Mike Pelfrey and this should be an easy pick. But saying that always bites me in the butt.
  • The Cardinals over the Reds: It amazes me that year after year, the Cardinals so totally mess me up that I cannot think straight when picking their games. I have been wrong on the last three. Or is that four? Lance Lynn was terrible in his first outing. But he is better than that. Bronson Arroyo should yield some runs to the high-powered Cardinal offense. Should. Could. We'll see. Hopefully, the Cardinals' bullpen recovers from last night's fiasco.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Pirates: The Pirates' offense has been terrible and that is too bad because I would dearly love to see the Pirates have fun in Pittsburgh again. James McDonald is of the great arm, no command ilk and his effectiveness varies from game to game. Brandon McCarthy should be solid for the D-Backs.
  • The Angels over the Athletics: C.J. Wilson puzzles me. I never know whether to pick him or not. He has a better chance of winning at home and I think he is at least as good as Jarrod Parker of the A's.
  • The Astros over the Mariners: Erik Bedard makes his first start of the season for Houston and the home town team, Mariners, send out Brandon Maurer, a pitcher the Mariners believe in more highly than I do.
  • The Giants over the Rockies: This is another game where I do not like the chances of either pitcher. Juan Nicasio had a good first outing. But it was a BABIP game with only two strikeouts. Tim Lincecum, meanwhile, one his first outing despite walking seven guys. Yuck.

And the Game of the Day!

  • The Phillies over the Mets: While Roy Halladay continues to struggle, Cliff Lee was a monster in his last outing. He should have no trouble with the Mets and the Phillies should muster two or three runs off of Dillon Gee.

Yesterday: 9-2
Week: 16-10
Month: 63-40
Games of the Day: 6-2

No comments: