Sunday was a fun-filled day of baseball but the picks continued May's struggles and finished just one game over .500 for the day. The Yankees' injury bug has reached into the bullpen and that depleted corp coughed up the game to the A's. Mike Pelfrey is pitching very well for the Twins and I have not adjusted yet and that pick was wrong. My man, Ian Kennedy, was roughed up. Jhoulys Chacin was not nearly as good as I expected him to be for another wrong pick and Roy Halladay...geez...Roy Halladay got whacked around again, this time by the lowly Marlins.
May is now exactly at .500 after 66 picks. Hardly inspiring stuff. And today is one of those dreaded short day with only nine games on the schedule.
Here are Monday's picks:
- The Royals over the White Sox: Look at those Royals go! A good match-up in this day game between Chris Sale and James Shields. I am going with Shields at home in a low scoring game.
- The Indians over the Athletics: The A's just two of three in New York but have their weakest rotation link going today in Jarrod Parker. Of course, this pick also means a pick for Ubaldo Jimenez. Lord help me. Jimenez has won his last two starts, both of which have been wrong for me. Scary pick though.
- The Braves over the Reds: This is an interesting series. I would like the Braves better if Jason Heyward was not still on the DL. But Brian McCann is back today for the Braves. Paul Maholm needs to have a good day for the pick to hold and the Braves need to hit some dingers on Bronson Arroyo.
- The Blue Jays over the Rays: This is my upset pick of the day. Mark Buehrle is due to have a good BABIP game and Jeremy Hellickson can run into trouble with Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion. Picking against the Rays is always scary.
- The Rangers over the Cubs: This is an interesting game. The Rangers will go without the DH and will face their old friend in Scott Feldman. Feldman has been pitching pretty well lately. Nick Tepesch will go for the Rangers in Wrigley. Which way will the wind be blowing?
- The Dodgers over the Diamondbacks: This is a tough call. The Dodgers just got spanked by the Giants all weekend. And they have to start Chris Capuano. Yikes. But the Diamondbacks are starting Trevor Cahill and he has not been that good either. Going with the Dodgers at home, but not with any confidence.
- The Padres over the Marlins: Another head-scratching game. Andrew Cashner was not very good his last time out but is at home and should strike out a bunch of Marlins. Wade LeBlanc should not strike out any Padres, hence the pick in the final analysis.
- The Giants over the Phillies: Can you pick against the Giants at this point? It is like they will not allow themselves to lose. It has been amazing. Some Giants hater commented here a couple of weeks ago that the Giants had not faced quality opponents. You still have to win, baby, and the Giants have done nothing but win. Having Madison Bumgarner on the mound does not hurt either. Cliff Lee is the victim.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Red Sox over the Twins: The Red Sox had a tough series against the Rangers, but are back home today with the 6-0 Clay Buchholz on the mound. I hope Buchholz does not let this rosin nonsense affect him. Vance Worley goes for the Twins and has not recorded a win this season.
Games of the Day: 25-9