The final full week of the regular season continues its successful ways here with a 10-5 night. Of the five incorrect picks, the Pirates and Reds losing were the most surprising. The Rockies were just a stupid pick. The Braves lost to the Brewers but they did defend the integrity of the game (oh brother). And finally, Cole Hamels couldn't get a win over the Marlins, which is sort of hysterical if you think about it. The poor blighter. What a season.
The Rockies did not win Todd Helton's last day at Coors Field, but that was really cool that he hit a homer. And it was really cool that Barry Zito got a win in his last game in San Francisco. Zito never did anything but handle himself with class in that situation. And big props to Max Scherzer. That is your Cy Young Award winner right there.
There are nine games on the schedule. Apparently, some teams needed the day off with only four days left on the schedule. Thursday's picks:
- The Padres over the Diamondbacks: The Padres really played well down the stretch and the Diamondbacks, not so much. Robbie Erlin has pitched well. Trevor Cahill has pitched better in the second half. I am going with Erlin.
- The Rays over the Yankees: The Yankees are deader than...well...dead. Ivan Nova gives them a chance. But the Rays are going to keep winning. I hate them. Alex Cobb gets another win in what has been a very good season for him. Mariano Rivera's last day in the Bronx. Sigh.
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: Say what you want about the Blue Jays season. But you cannot blame Mark Buehrle who has been just the kind of pitcher they hoped he would be. Miguel Gonzalez has not been there for the Orioles.
- The Mets over the Brewers: This pick is for Dillon Gee who has been really great for the Mets in the second half. The guy just knows how to pitch. Johnny Helwig, on the other hand, has a WHIP so far in his young career of 2.25. Ouch.
- The Braves over the Phillies: David Hale makes his second Major League start for the Braves. How did I miss his first one? Must have been in a blind spot. Anyway, his performance in that first start was so out of character with his minor league numbers (never struck out so many batters) that I had to blink a little bit. But he should still be better than Tyler Cloyd.
- The Rangers over the Angels: Matt Garza is the same as always. It's just a different team. He seems to have all this talent and at least a third of the time, just goes off the rails. He better be on tonight as the Rangers are still trying to hang on. Jerome Williams has been better of late. No love lost between these two teams.
- The Royals over the White Sox: The Royals are done as are the Yankees. But somehow, they looked better doing it. Jeremy Guthrie should beat Andre Rienzo, though the latter had a good game his last outing.
- The Giants over the Dodgers: This pick has a 50/50 feel to it. Tim Lincecum has to pitch well. There is a 50/50 there. Edinson Volquez has to be decent. The odds are less there. The Giants have to hit. The odds are less there. 50/50.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Indians over the Twins: You can talk about the Indians having a soft schedule down the stretch, but you still have to win all those games and the Indians have done that. Zach McAllister over Andrew Albers.
Games of the Day: 102-70