Wednesday was another good day that saw the Game of the Day pick go down in flames. Darn that Francisco Liriano for throwing a stinker. Yu Darvish did too. How could aces let me down so often this season? The Yankees got a scare late but Mariano Rivera came to the rescue and got the last four outs. The Red Sox pick was correct in about the biggest way possible. Twenty runs!? Man, Tigers, what was that?
My pick for the Royals was wrong as Ervin Santana was not good and Aaron made me eat Crow. I was wrong for picking the Angels as Jered Weaver gave up two homers to Wil Myers and Jeremy Hellickson threw his usual five innings of crap that somehow worked before the bullpen took over. And my pick for the Blue Jays took ten innings to go wrong.
But it was a decent day. And now on to Thursday:
- The Royals over the Mariners: Jeremy Guthrie and Joe Saunders are two pitchers that can be very good or very bad. So this game will depend on which is which. The pick is for the Royals at home.
- The Yankees over the Red Sox: Two very hot pitchers collide in this one. Ivan Nova just won the Pitcher of the Month for his August. And of course, Jake Peavy was an excellent pickup for the Red Sox. I am going with the Yankees at home with a Red Sox team that swung their bats very often yesterday.
- The Orioles over the White Sox: The White Sox just allowed the Yankees to keep themselves in the race, so turnabout is fair play as the Orioles are next. Miguel Gonzalez should be slightly better than Jose Quintna in this one. What is the over/under on the White Sox making two errors?
- The Reds over the Cardinals: This series seems like it has gone on forever. Maybe because they placed sixteen innings yesterday. Lance Lynn has had at least one inning with a crooked number in just about every start in his last ten. I cannot trust him. Tony Cingrani is a lefty and the Cardinals have trouble with those. The only caveat here is that Cingrani was hurt in his last start and has not pitched for two weeks.
- The Bay Rays over the Angels: David Price came off the DL on fire but has cooled off lately. This pick assumes he will be fine against the Angels and that the Rays will be able to hit Jerome Williams enough to win the game.
- The Giants over the Diamondbacks: How about the Panda hitting three homers in San Diego no less? Unbelievable, eh? I do not think he will do that again, but I still think the Giants will win if Ryan Vogelsong has a decent outing. Trevor Cahill does not strike much fear in me.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Athletics over the Astros: Okay, I am back on the Sonny Gray train. He sucked me back in with his last start. Besides, I would never pick Brad Peacock to beat the A's anyway.
Games of the Day: 88-63 -2