The first three completed games yesterday were correctly picked. But then only two more picks would be correct the rest of the evening. Der. The one that galls me the most was the Cubs win over the Reds. If you look at yesterday's picks, I even called it. I said those are the games you have to look out for because a team just finished a big series and will let down on the Cubs. And sure enough, they ran into a good pitcher in Travis Wood and lost. Why did I not pick it that way then!? Der.
Max Scherzer and Jered Weaver did not come through for me (or their teams). Once again, the Rangers could not win a game that was started by Yu Darvish. Give Gerrit Cole some of that credit, though. That was a terrific game. Tiajuan Walker and Jarred Cosart were great but then it became a bullpen game. The Astros initially blew it and the Mariners had a nice lead heading into the ninth and then Lord Danny Farquhar blew it. Der.
- The Indians over the Royals: The Indians' closer drives me crazy. Perhaps I should direct my emotions toward his dog though. I think Zach McAllister wins this game with the only exception to that thought if Jeremy Guthrie has a really good game. The Indians are simply better than the Royals.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: This pick depends on Ivan Nova to have a dominating performance. It does not seem that any Yankee starter can rise to such an occasion. The last time the Yankees saw Miguel Gonzalez, they roughed him up pretty good. Not very confident on this pick.
- The Phillies over the Padres: If you look at Tyler Cloyd's season, if he pitches against a middling team, he does well. Most of his bad outings have come against really good offenses. The Padres are not a good offense. However, Andrew Cashner is a talented pitcher that can blow this pick up.
- The Blue Jays over the Angels: Mark Buehrle has been really good for a month and a half now and seems to give the Blue Jays a solid effort in every start. Jerome Williams started the season great and then got hammered regularly. He has been pitching a bit better of late. I like the Blue Jays here at home.
- The Braves over the Marlins: Julio Teheran was skipped for a start and the question is whether all that rest will help or hurt him. If he is not sharp, Logan Morrison and Giancarlo Stanton will jump on him. We'll see. Tom Koehler goes for the Marlins.
- The Bay Rays over the Red Sox: The Rays are finally home after their long and disastrous trip out west. David Price will need to be really good for this pick to come true. For the Red Sox, Clay Buchholz returns. But what will they get from him?
- The Reds over the Cubs: Okay, the Reds had their one-game letdown. Now it is time for them to resume their chase for the NL Central. We all know this division is going down to the wire. Tony Cingrani has been like a good luck charm for me this season.
- The Nationals over the Mets: I hate to pick against Dillon Gee the way he is pitching. But the Nats have finally started to play a little good baseball and Jordan Zimmermann is a really good pitcher for them. The Nats should win either early (the first inning) or late.
- The Pirates over the Rangers: My gut feeling is that the Rangers will be this year's team to fade at the end. They did not address their offense and it is killing them. Francisco Liriano has only allowed one homer in his career (31+ innings) at the Rangers' home ball park and is 3-1 there. He should rebound from his last poor outing. My only reservation here is that Martin Perez always seems to win.
- The Tigers over the White Sox: Erik Johnson was only so-so against the Yankees in his debut. The Tigers will jump on him early. Rick Porcello has to be somewhat effective though, something he has not been for a month now.
- The Athletics over the Twins: I am expecting this game to be a mismatch. Jarrod Parker is starting to blossom a little and has people talking about him. Liam Hendriks will never get into those kinds of conversations.
- The Cardinals over the Brewers: I am pretty confident on this one. Wily Peralta has not been good and the Cards' offense should roll. Shelby Miller needs to pitch well though to make this one an easy win.
- The Dodgers over the Diamondbacks: The Dodgers will win this game despite Edinson Volquez and not because of him. Trevor Cahill seems to be better than his disastrous first couple of months to the season. I thought Juan Uribe's career was dead. Just call him Lazarus.
- The Mariners over the Astros: I have no idea who will win this game. Joe Saunders is not my favorite to pick and neither is Jordan Lyles. Both teams are not very good at this point. Going with the home team again.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Giants over the Rockies: Jorge De La Rosa has sixteen wins. Has that been a quiet win total or what? It might be because his peripherals do not really match his win total. You would think he would be better on the road than at home at Coors. But it is just the opposite. He is 10-1 at home. His road ERA is almost four. Giants win behind Ryan Vogelsong at home.
Games of the Day: 90-66 +1