Saturday was a much better day than the previous three! Ten out of fifteen correct is a much better showing. The Orioles - Blue Jays game could have gone either way. I did not expect the Astros to win. But pretty much everything else went according to plan.
Now comes Sunday, the best baseball day of the week with all the day games. The picks:
- The Reds over the Rays: This has been a low scoring series with great pitching. One team will bust out today and I think it will be the Reds. Cesar Ramos gets the start for the Rays and if he is good for five innings, it will be a surprise. Tony Cingrani, on the other hand, should have a good day.
- The Phillies over the Marlins: This might be a high scoring game. I don't have a whole lot of faith in either Henderson Alvarez or Kyle Kendrick, but give the nod to Kendrick at home.
- The Orioles over the Blue Jays: Ubaldo Jimenez gets his first win as an Oriole and Mark Buehrle yields enough runs for the Orioles to get the W.
- The Nationals over the Braves: Gio Gonzalez has added yet another plus pitch to his amazing arsenal and he has been nearly perfect so far this season. That should continue against the strikeout-prone Braves. Plus, Aaron Harang cannot stay as good as he's been.
- The White Sox over the Indians: Jose Quintana has been quite good for the White Sox. Corey Kluber is up and down so you never know what you will get. Going with the White Sox at home.
- The Royals over the Twins: Once again, Royals fans are getting restless. The team is much better than they have been playing. I think it is a manager problem, but that's just me. Anyway, I like Jason Vargas over Kevin Correia.
- The Brewers over the Pirates: I like Kyle Lohse at home. McCutchen is not 100% and Charlie Morton is fringy in my book.
- The Cardinals over the Cubs: Edwin Jackson is still Edwin Jackson. Michael Wacha is faring better than the Cardinals' other young starters so far. I like Wacha and the Cards at home.
- The Rangers over the Astros: Martin Perez is the Rangers' best pitcher right now after Darvish and should have a good day against the Astros. Brett Oberholtzer is pretty good though and could hold the scoring down.
- The Angels over the Mets: I like C.J. Wilson at home. And while Bartolo Colon is capable at any time of shutting a team down, a couple of fat fastballs will disappear in a hurry too.
- The Giants over the Rockies: Tyler Chatwood makes his first start of the season and that never fills me with confidence. On the other hand, Tim Hudson is off to a great start with the Giants.
- The Dodgers over the Diamondbacks: Whatever happened to Trevor Cahill? Didn't he used to be good at one time? He hasn't been good in a long time. Dan Haren is not the greatest comfort either.
- The Athletics over the Mariners: Interesting game here. Chris Young is like 6'10" tall and you would think that would be a nice downward plane to pitch. But he has had injury trouble forever. The Mariners scooped him in waivers, so let's see what they got. Scott Kazmir, meanwhile, continues to nicely rebuild his career.
- The Yankees over the Red Sox: This game could go either way. Both Felix Doubront an Ivan Nova are immensely talented pitchers who make you scratch your head at times. The Yankees are better equipped to handle left-handed pitchers this year.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Tigers over the Padres: If you had to pick Max Scherzer over Tyson Ross, you'd do it a hundred times out of a hundred, right? Yeah. I would...at least until Ross can discover some command.
Yesterday: 10-5, Games of the Day: 6-4, Season: 98-72