Wednesday, April 16, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: April 16, 2014

After Mother Nature smothered the East Coast and wiped out four games, the rest of the games that actually played left me with a struggle just to finish with a 6-6 record yesterday. Giancarlo Stanton bombed Stephen Strasburg, the latter of whom I can never seem to rely on these days. Shelby Miller regained his form and I did not expect that. The Red Sox lost again. It was a tough day.

And it is snowing here this morning! Ugh! Only the Yankees will make up their game today with a double-header, so there are sixteen games on the schedule. The picks:
  • The Pirates over the Reds: This one is played real early and features two good pitchers in Francisco Liriano and Johnny Cueto. I am leaning to Liriano. But it can go either way.
  • The Yankees over the Cubs: Also yesterday's pitching line and although Jasan Hammel has a good history against the Yankees, I am going with Masahiro Tanaka.
  • The Brewers over the Cardinals: The Cards have shut down the Brewers and their hot start and today could go either way. I am going with Wily Peralta over Joe Kelly. Both are pitching well though.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Mets: How bad has been the Diamondbacks' start? Sheesh. Things have to be grim over there. Dillon Gee is not someone I usually pick against, but I'm going with Brandon McCarthy in this one.
  • The Braves over the Phillies: The rain out helped the Braves as they will now skip their weakest rotation link and can pitch Julio Teheran. That switches the pick for me away from Cliff Lee.
  • The Yankees over the Cubs: I like Travis Wood a lot. But he pitches for the Cubs. I like Michael Pineda in this one for the sweep.
  • The Tigers over the Indians: Same pitching line as was supposed to be yesterday. I still think Anibal Sanchez will be better than Zach McAllister.
  • The Marlins over the Nationals: Jose Fernandez at home? Check. Tanner Roark against the Marlins' lineup? Not so much.
  • The Rangers over the Mariners: Ace versus Ace in this one. Yu Darvish has been amazing so far. Felix Hernandez has struggled in Texas in the past. The edge has to go to Darvish.
  • The Red Sox over the White Sox: If Clay Buchholz is the good version, he should be much better than John Danks, who does not have a good version.
  • The Royals over the Astros: I don't exactly know how the Royals have kept Jeremy Guthrie on the up and up, but I have learned not to question it anymore. I'll take him over Dallas Keuchel.
  • The Blue Jays over the Twins: This game is a black hole for me. I have come not to depend on either R.A. Dickey or Mike Pelfrey. One of the teams has to win though, so flip a coin.
  • The Angels over the Athletics: I like me some Tyler Skaggs. I don't like me some Tommy Milone. But the only thing sticking me with this pick is the way the Angels blew it yesterday.
  • The Padres over the Rockies: Andrew Cashner is starting to look big time. And Jorge De La Rosa still has too many names.
  • The Giants over the Dodgers: Ugh! What lousy choices here! Ryan Vogelsong hasn't pitched well in forever and Paul Maholm is not exactly a great choice either. Going with the Giants as the home team.
And the Game of the Day!
  • The Rays over the Orioles: The same pitching line as was supposed to go yesterday. I still think Jake Odorizzi will best Miguel Gonzalez.
Yesterday: 6-6, Games of the Day: 7-5, Season: 122-83

No comments: