Wednesday, May 21, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Wednesday: May 21, 2014

I went to bed early last night as I was tired. But I was also disgusted with how the night was going. Jason Freakin' Hammel. And I woke up this morning to see that I had every right to be disgusted. The picks were all wrong and hardly anything (but the Game of the Day) went right. It's good to know that after all these decades of watching baseball, that I have such a good handle of what is going on and what it's all about. <>

The overcast weather doesn't help here. We had a terrible winter and this spring has been very disappointing. Here it is, May 21 and the golf course isn't even open yet. It has rained here every day since Friday. The trees and flowers are a good ten days behind a normal year. It's depressing and sucking an egg in the baseball picks doesn't help any.

And I am missing my son. It's his birthday today. I want to be with him. I want to give him a great big old hug. But he is far away and that has me sad this morning. But, he is where he is supposed to be and he is doing well and is happy, so that is all a dad can ask for. I hope he knows how much I love him today.

Wednesday's picks:
  • The Tigers over the Indians: This pick did not work out yesterday with Verlander, so how will it work with Max Scherzer? Because he is that good and never seems to give up more than a run or two. Zach McAllister will give up more than that.
  • The Mariners over the Rangers: This is a risky pick. But Nick Tepesch is the reason. In his short career, he has a decent 3.92 ERA on the road, but it balloons to 5.52 at home. Chris Young is no great shakes either. But there it is.
  • The Cubs over the Yankees: Jeff Samardzija is due for a win. And I just know it will be the Yankees who give it to him. Being opposed by a young and inexperienced Chase Whitley will help him too.
  • The Nationals over the Reds: The Reds are reeling right now despite last night. And even though Alfredo Simon has pitched really well, Tanner Roark will pitch better.
  • The Dodgers over the Mets: Jacob deGrom looked impressive in his debut. Hyun-jin Ryu is back though and will start tonight for the Dodgers. I think the Dodgers are ready to go on a run. Free Legares.
  • The Braves over the Brewers: These two teams are heading in the opposite directions. The Braves are starting to string wins and the Brewers have been on a protracted slide. Ervin Santana over Kyle Lohse.
  • The Rays over the Athletics: The Rays have looked bad and Oakland has been nearly unbeatable. But I like Erik Bedard better here than I like Tommy Milone. It's hard to believe the Rays have been this bad.
  • The Marlins over the Phillies: Yeah, this pick did not work out last night. Have the Marlins lost their home mojo too? Hmm... Nate Eovaldi has blazing stuff, but it doesn't seem to separate him as a pitcher from the rest of the crowd. But I like Kyle Kendrick less.
  • The Blue Jays over the Red Sox: I never know what to expect out of each of these pitchers going tonight. Drew Hutchison is either brilliant or he is not. Clay Buchholz is supposed to be ace-like, but has given up 25 base runners in his last 10.1 innings. Ugh. Toss a coin.
  • The Royals over the White Sox: I give up on the Royals. They just drive me crazy. Jeremy Guthrie at home is a pretty good pick though even though Jose Quintana can be good at times.
  • The Cardinals over the Diamondbacks: Brandon McCarthy finally got a win, but he has to get some run support. I'm not sure he will with Michael Wacha pitching for the Cardinals.
  • The Rockies over the Giants: The Rockies had a big and important walk-off last night and that will propel them today. Jhoulys Chacin has to be better than he has been. Matt Cain still does not look good and Coors won't help.
  • The Twins over the Padres: Okay, I admit it. Phil Hughes has looked very good. There, are you happy? He will continue that today in a big ballpark in San Diego. Tyson Ross has been good too though.
  • The Angels over the Astros: Collin McHugh has not held up as good as he started. Jered Weaver has to be on target for this pick to come in. But even if it is a high scoring game, I think the Angels win.
And the Game of the Day
  • The Orioles over the Pirates: If Chris Davis is ready to go on a tear, then look out world. Besides, Chris Tillman is their best pitcher and Wandy Rodriguez has not been able to get his feet under him all season.
Yesterday: 6-9, May: 145-125, Games of the Day: 23-23, Season: 378-297

1 comment:

Billy the Kid said...

I'm pretty sure your son knows