Tuesday, July 01, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Tuesday: July 1, 2014

July sneaked up on me and here it is. I am a bit sorry to see June go as it was a pretty good picking month. The last three days of the month have been really good with a 28-13 run including 8-2 last night.
The two incorrect picks are difficult to get upset about. I am happy for Jake Arrieta gentille Arrieta on his brilliant outing against the Red Sox. Nicely done, sir. Nearly as dominating in a shorter burst was Jesse Hahn who stifled the Reds to cause the other incorrect pick.
Before I get to today's picks, Happy Canada Day to my Canadian readers and a very Happy Birthday to a very special lady up in Maine today.
Tuesday's picks (weather permitting):
  • The Blue Jays over the Brewers: This pick completely depends on how well Drew Hutchison pitches and unfortunately, that is difficult to predict. Marco Estrada is always pretty good and his success depends on keeping the big bats of the Blue Jays from squaring up his pitches. Tough call.
  • The Angels over the White Sox: This is the first part of a double-header to make up for yesterday's wash out. I still think that that Garrett Richards beats Hector Noesi.
  • The Pirates over the DiamondbacksJeff Locke has been pitching well and I expect that again today. Wade Miley has been better of late too. So this pick is no lock (pun unexpected).
  • The Nationals over the Rockies: Every time I pick Stephen Strasburg, I get beat. And the worst part is he is supposed to be my rock for my Fantasy team too. Come on, guy, get it together! I don't expect Christian Friedrich to pitch well enough if Strasburg is on.
  • The Rays over the YankeesDavid Price mows down placid Yankees on the way to another victory. Hiroki Kuroda allows two homers and I will wish I wasn't watching. My mom is funny. She knows nothing about baseball but while watching the games this week with me, insists the Yankees aren't trying, especially Jeter who doesn't care, she says. Heh.
  • The Orioles over the Rangers: This one might be a high-scoring game. T.J. McFarland hasn't started since early in the season at Norfork in Triple-A. So he won't last long. The Rangers start Nick Martinez, who does not have the repertoire to put batters away once he gets ahead. Look out bleacher creatures.
  • The Tigers over the Athletics: That was quite the win for the Tigers last night. Wow. I like Rick Porcello over Brad Mills in this one. The Tigers are not bothered by lefty pitching and Porcello has been terrific.
  • The Red Sox over the Cubs: The Red Sox will swing the bats much easier tonight against Edwin Jackson after their oh-for against Arrieta. Clay Buchholz looked much better coming off the DL than he did before he went on it.
  • The Braves over the Mets: Oh that Familia feeling for the Mets who saw another victory thrown away by the bullpen. Not only could Familia not pitch well, but then his error sealed the Met's fate. Mike Minor over Daisuke Matsuzaka.
  • The Marlins over the Phillies: The Marlins are not playing well. But at least they are home, where they have a chance. The Phillies will need to figure out Henderson Alvarez who is very good at home. The Marlins have to hope that A.J. Burnett has one of those nights.
  • The Angels over the White Sox: I'm feeling a sweep here. Jered Weaver has to keep the ball in the park, but if he does, then he should be better than Scott Carroll, a guy I want to do well, but am realistic enough to think won't.
  • The Astros over the Mariners: The M's had a great June and the offense is doing much better. But there are two reasons for this pick: First, I don't believe that Hisashi Iwakuma is feeling good and his back is limiting his effectiveness. And secondly, I like Jarred Cosart.
  • The Reds over the Padres: I think that Mike Leake will be better than Ian Kennedy. That's all.
  • The Dodgers over the Indians: The Dodgers are flying. The pitching has been fabulous. They field better when Hanley Ramirez is out. I like Josh Beckett over Justin Masterson. Both pitchers might cancel each other out and then it is a bullpen game. Edge again to the Dodgers.
  • The Giants over the Cardinals: This is a tough one. First of all, most pitchers who throw no-hitters do not come back the next game with much stuff (Kershaw the noted exception). Thus I am not counting on much from Tim Lincecum. Secondly, the Cards are starting Marco Gonzalez who did not exactly impress in his first start in the Majors. I don't know.
And the Game of the Day (yesterday's was rained out!):
  • The Royals over the Twins: The Royals have rebounded nicely after a lost week and James Shields should keep the ball rolling. Ricky Nolasco does not ever scare me when making these picks.
Yesterday: 8-2, June (final): 228-184, Games of the Day: 45-41, Season: 682-565

No comments: