Sunday, June 29, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Sunday: June 29, 2014

Last night I witnessed one of the dumbest pitches I have ever seen in my decades of watching baseball. Masahiro Tanaka has made mincemeat of Mike Napoli all night with a series of sliders and splitters. On top of that, Stephen Drew was up next and could not hit Tanaka if Drew had a telephone pole for a bat. Tanaka got Napoli to two strikes on those same off speed pitches. Brian McCann called for another one to finish Napoli off. Tanaka shook him off. He threw a fastball...to Mike Napoli...with two strikes...and Drew up next. Ball game. It was the dumbest pitch ever.
In fact, this was what I tweeted way back earlier in the game:
Give Jon Lester credit. He was brilliant last night. The Yankees would have had a chance if they hadn't given Lester two extra outs, one on a bunt and the other on a caught stealing (both Brett Gardner). So I am not really that surprised at losing the pick. But the way it was lost had me frothing at the mouth.
Otherwise, it was a good day of picking considering how many games were played. Sunday's picks:
  • The Blue Jays over the White Sox: It took Chris Sale to beat the Jays last night and though Jose Quintana is better than people think, he is no Sale. I am going with Mark Buehrle for the win.
  • The Marlins over the Athletics: The Marlins have played the A's tough all weekend, but the bullpen has given the A's the first two games. I think Andrew Heaney shuts the A's down for his first MLB win and the Marlins take care of Tommy Milone for a couple of runs at least.
  • The Braves over the Phillies: I hate picking Aaron Harang. But I hate picking the Phillies at this point. David Buchanan hasn't been bad for the Phillies but I still think the Braves win.
  • The Pirates over the Mets: I really want to go with the Mets here with Bartolo Colon. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized how much the Mets lose when David Wright is not in the lineup. But that means I am picking Edinson Volquez to win. Ewww.
  • The Bay Rays over the OriolesAlex Cobb is going to put it together here eventually. He is too good not to. Miguel Gonzalez really isn't the answer for the back of the Orioles' rotation.
  • The Angels over the Royals: I just have this feeling that the Angels will pummel Jeremy Guthrie. I could be wrong and if so, I'll look foolish. But I just have that feeling. If I am correct, then C.J. Wilson just has to pitch decently.
  • The Brewers over the Rockies: The Brewers have been all over the Rockies this entire series. And Yovani Gallardo is a safe enough pick at home. Jorge De La Rosa has been pretty good at times though.
  • The Tigers over the Astros: A second pick in a row for The Emoticon, Drew Smyly. That feels weird. Scott Feldman has pitched well over his last three games. But the Tigers should hit him pretty well.
  • The Rangers over the TwinsKyle Gibson has pitched extremely well before his last outing and then he was crushed by the Angels. My problem with Gibson is the lack of strikeouts and in the heat of Texas, I am not optimistic for him. Picking Colby Lewis is no picnic either.
  • The Reds over the GiantsTim Hudson has lost his last two starts including his last effort at home. Is his arm tired? Does he need a break? Hunter Pence looks tired for the Giants too. This game all depends on if Homer Bailey comes out firing or falls back into being easy to hit.
  • The Padres over the Diamondbacks: This pick did not work out yesterday. But, gosh, Mike Bolsinger pitched his heart out his last game and still lost. The game instead will be won by Cuban, Odrisamer Despaigne, who has taken over as the hardest players' name to spell.
  • The Mariners over the Indians: I do not like the Mariners against lefties and T.J. House is a lefty. There is no way, however, you can ever pick against the Mariners when Felix Hernandez pitches. It's not that the King will win every time. But the chances are better than not.
  • The Red Sox over the Yankees: The bloom fell off the rose for Chase Whitley in his last start. John Lackey had a bump in his road in his last start. But I think the Red Sox will score on Whitley and Lackey will have a good night.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Dodgers over the CardinalsClayton Kershaw has gone 59-25 over his last four seasons. Any questions? Shelby Miller could keep up with him on a good day. But then the bullpen is dicey.
Yesterday: 11-6, June: 211-177, Games of the Day: 44-41, Season: 665-558

No comments: