Tuesday, September 02, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Tuesday: September 2, 2014

Labor Day started out sort of weird when I had to take a "loss" from the continuation of a suspended game from way back to May 22. I had to go to the archives all the way to when that game was started to see what I picked and sure enough, the team I picked (Rockies) did not win the game finished yesterday.
To compound matters, the Giants and the Rockies played their regularly scheduled game and I had Tim Hudson with a 7-2 lead in the fifth inning. That fell apart quickly as things can in Coors Field and the Rockies roared back to win. So one pick and two incorrect tallies.
Fortunately, the rest of the day went 6-3 to give me a positive score. I was worried about picking against Cole Hamels, but I had no idea he would be part of a six-pitcher no-hitter. Who could predict that! And those Cubs are hotter than a pistol and beat the Brewers! Man. Jacob Turner was great for the Cubs.
Tuesday's picks:
  • The Yankees over the Red Sox: Even without Dustin Pedroia, the Red Sox have some weapons that can hurt young Shane Greene. But he has been pitching well and Joe Kelly would have to be really good for this to go wrong. But picking the Yankees this year has never been safe. Ever.
  • The Orioles over the Reds: Both Bud Norris and Mat Latos have similar "stuff." The difference is that the Reds cannot match the Orioles' lineup. The O's have to keep Billy Hamilton off the bases, which hasn't been all that difficult to do.
  • The Indians over the Tigers: The last time I picked against Kyle Lobstein, he made me look stupid (which isn't hard to do). But it was completely a BABIP game as he struck out no one. Even with Miguel Cabrera coming back with a monster game yesterday, I am going with Carlos Carrasco at home.
  • The Marlins over the MetsBrad Penny. Am I really picking the Marlins with Brad Penny starting? My thinking is that the Marlins' lineup will not be bothered by the left-handed tosses of Jon Niese, but perhaps I have lost my marbles.
  • The Braves over the Phillies: Let's try this again with a resurgent Mike Minor and the rotation filler of Kyle Kendrick. The Braves are in a bit of trouble as the division slides away and there are a lot of contenders for the wild card.
  • The Blue Jays over the Rays: Another battle of the 'Ays. The Rays usually win the battle, but my thought here is that the Jays' big boppers will get to Jeremy Hellickson and R.A. Dickey will pitch just fine in the Trop.
  • The Brewers over the Cubs: I've gone back and forth on this ten times. Jake Arrieta gentile arrieta has had a good season but was awful his last time out. Yovani Gallardo hasn't been his old dominant self. The Cubs have been on fire, but the Brewers are fighting for the division title. Oy.
  • The White Sox over the TwinsHector Noesi has won six of his last nine decisions covering ten starts. He has been quite the remarkable story. The White Sox will miss Adam Dunn but even so, Tommy Milone has been awful for the Twins.
  • The Royals over the Rangers: The Rangers get a reprise of the long ago lost Derek Holland. I never know what to do with when a quality pitcher comes back off of a long, long absence. Picking the Royals means I have to pick Jeremy Guthrie. Ugh.
  • The Cardinals over the Pirates: This is a rematch of the same pitching line of Jeff Locke and Adam Wainwright. Locke won last time but that was in Pittsburgh. Wainwright has not been an ace for the last month but claims he is getting over a dead arm period. We'll see.
  • The Giants over the Rockies: Who knows in Coors. I would think that I would have to pick Yusmeiro Petit after his last performance over Jordan Lyles even if Lyles is 6-2 on the season.
  • The Athletics over the Mariners: I love James Paxton and I hate to pick against him, but the Mariners' offense can go to sleep faster than the A's has lately and the Mariners face Sonny Gray. Gray has gotten a bit of his mojo back in his last two starts.
  • The Padres over the DiamondbacksOdrisamer Despaigne has been a bit confusing with good starts and really bad starts inter-mixed. He should be fine tonight at home against a struggling D-backs team. Wade Miley is a concern for this pick though as he has put some nice starts together and forces guys like Seth Smith to sit.
  • The Dodgers over the Nationals: Oh man, this is quite the match-up! Doug Fister and Clayton Kershaw are a combined 28-8. One of them has to win. Kershaw at home is just too difficult for the Nationals to overcome.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Angels over the Astros: I am still quite shocked and upset about Bo Porter. Despite all the losing with little talent, the Astros always played hard, or so it seemed. And Porter made me root for his team. Now I am just angry and think they deserve to have the Angels kicked their team butts. C.J. Wilson over Brad Peacock.
Yesterday: 8-5, Sept.: 8-5, Games of the Day: 85-59 (+2), Season: 1138-939

1 comment:

forged said...

ESPN article made it sound like Porter and the GM weren't seeing eye-to-eye.

I guess the Rockies have company for a dysfunctional front office. Given what they have for a team, seems like Porter shouldn't have been fired.