Sunday was a 9-6 day. The Pick of the Day (the Angels) was wrong. I just couldn't imagine Garrett Richards losing. But Mike Wright, making his MLB debut out-pitched him and threw up nothing but zeroes. Heck of a debut! I guess I'll need to take another look at A.J. Burnett as the old guy is making me look badly. I did pick Shelby Miller and I cannot believe he was one out away from a no-hitter and then threw that unfortunate first-pitch fastball. So close!
- The Blue Jays over the Angels: The Blue Jays as a team feasts on left-handed pitching and that is the arm C.J. Wilson throw from. Besides, Aaron Sanchez is starting to live up to the expectations he has for his career.
- The Brewers over the Tigers: I'm going to get stupid here and pick a lousy team to beat a great team. First, Mike Fiers is getting better. You could even say two of his last three starts have been brilliant. Secondly, Kyle Lobstein can be had and was not very good his last time out.
- The Diamondbacks over the Marlins: The Marlins will have a new manager. By the way, if you look at yesterday's post, I called that firing. I'm going with the Diamondbacks because I have picked against Rubby De La Rosa every game and he is 4-2 and has beaten two very good teams in his last two outings. Dan Haren goes for the Fish.
- The Indians over the White Sox: Wow! What a match-up! Corey Kluber verses Chris Sale! That will be fun to watch. Kluber looks like he found whatever he was missing in his last start against the Cardinals. He was amazing. Sale is one of the best in the AL too. Flip a coin!
- The Astros over the Athletics: For the Astros, the prospects just keep on coming. Tonight features the debut of 2012 first-round draft pick, Lance McCullers Jr. McCullers has a big arm and has baseball pedigree as his father was a pretty darned good pitcher in the 80s. The A's just keep losing and will start Drew Pomeranz, who knows all about being a stud prospect and the perils therein.
- The Rockies over the Phillies: I know. I keep picking against the Phillies. But I can't help it. Cole Hamels has struggled at Coors Field over the course of his career and Jordan Lyles seems to do okay there. That is the rational.
The Pick of the Day:
- The Mets over the Cardinals: The Cards had to travel after a late game and then have to face Matt Harvey? Good luck with that. John Lackey can be very good too. But I'm going with Harvey.
Yesterday: 9-6, May: 117-93, Season: 281-258, Picks of the Day: 22-18