And so the Fan had his first week end in the red. April ended with a whimper and just a modest 53.6 percent success rate. That's hardly a rousing success. The Game of the Day feature ended up under .500.
At the risk of being totally cliche, perhaps April showers will lead to May flowers. It's a fresh week and a fresh month and let's see if this dang thing can start off on the right foot:
- The Indians over the Tigers: Phil Coke has not been a good starter and Masterson is 5-0. Why does that not sound comforting enough? Law of averages, perhaps?
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: The teams have split so far and the Blue Jays are no pushovers. Jesse Litsch is also a pretty good pitcher. But Nova was good his last time out and the Yankees are at home.
- The Mariners over the Red Sox: All signs point to a Mariner win. King Felix verses old man Tim Wakefield sounds bad. But again, when everything seems so right, things have a way of biting you.
- The Giants over the Nationals: Matt Cain is simply a safer pick than Jordan Zimmermann.
- The Cardinals over the Braves: The Cards get out the brooms with Jaime Garcia throwing bee-bees. And the cards score off of the erstwhile and should-be-embarrassed Derek Lowe.
- The Angels over the Bay Rays: Will Alex Cobb pull out a Worley and win an emergency start after a call up from the Durham Bulls? Unlike Worley, Cobb is facing Jared Weaver.
- The Brewers over the Astros: Narveson goes for the Brewers. MLB.com lists Wandy Rodriguez as the Astros' starter. Umm...he pitched yesterday. He's good, but not that good.
- The Orioles over the White Sox: Gavin Floyd has been good. But Zach Britton has been better.
- The Twins over the Royals: The Royals are the better team at this point. But Pavano always messes this picker up when he's picked against. Pavano has a winning record against the Royals but a very high ERA. Hochevar, though, has not looked good in his last two outings.
- The Rockies over the Pirates: Morton was good his last time out against the Giants. But the Rockies at home are a different story. Ubaldo Jiminez gets his first win.
- The Athletics over the Rangers: Gio Gonzalez has a 3-1 career record against the Rangers with a 2.09 ERA. That should do it against Matt Harrison.
- The Diamondbacks over the Cubs: Two struggling pitchers in Daniel Hudson versus Casey Coleman. Hudson was better his last time out though. So going with him.
- The Marlins over the Reds: The Fan hates picking against Bronson Arroyo. There's just something gutty and heroic about him. But the Marlins seem like a better team right now and Nolasco has been pitching well.
- The Dodgers over the Padres: Not thrilled in picking Garland to win against his former team (or anyone else for that matter). But poor Dustin Moseley can't buy a win.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Mets: The Phillies love being on national television. They just do. And Cliff Lee, after a couple of pedestrian starts, will look like Cliff Lee. Chris Young with the loss.
Last week: 45-48
Last month: 212-183
Games of the Week: 15-16