The point is that this picker still needs a big day just to get out of the red this week (and month for that matter). Can Wednesday be the day? Let's try this again:
- The Reds over the Astros: Isn't it good that Dusty Baker had too many starters at the beginning of Spring Training? Well, it seems that the Red Sox said that last year and their starters ralphed most of the season. Ibid the Reds. Travis Wood starts today. Wasn't Homer Bailey supposed to come off the DL and start for Wood? Anyway, he's faced by Aneury Rodriguez, a Rule Five pick who has only made eight relief appearances this season.
- The White Sox over the Twins: Did anyone see this series being irrelevant at the start of the season? Danks hasn't won yet, but it hasn't been his pitching. Blackburn has only won once and it has been his pitching.
- The Cubs over the Dodgers: Haven't gone wrong picking Zambrano every time out so far. Lilly got whacked last time he faced the Cubs, who have a lot of right-handed bats to neutralize the lefty.
- The Brewers and Braves split a double-header: Zack Greinke starts tonight. Wonder if he knows that the Royals have a better record than his Brewers? But the Brewers are only 3.5 games out of the lead so he's still on a contender. Estrada pitches the first game for the Brewers. The Braves counter with Hudson and Hanson.
- The Pirates over the Padres: Kevin Correia goes home to play his old team. Want to bet that he'll be stoked? He faces Richard, who is iffy.
- The Blue Jays over the Rays: Brandon Morrow has been slowly rounding back into stud form. He gets there tonight and beats Niemann.
- The Yankees over the Tigers: Freddie Garcia had a bad game and still only gave up three runs in five innings. He should be better this time out against a team he faced a lot last year. Scherzer has been good this season, but the Yankees will get to him or burn him out early to get to the weak bullpen.
- The Phillies over the Nationals: Marquis has been a major surprise this season. But the Phillies will wait out his change up and the Nats won't hit Worley enough to catch up.
- The Red Sox over the Angels: Almost picked the Angels here thinking that Beckett is a concern after his last outing. But then remembered that the Angels can't beat the Red Sox.
- The Giants over the Mets: Lincecum started the season great. Then has faded a bit. Capuano is the wild card in this game. If he can hold down a Giants' offense that has been sputtering, this pick could be in trouble.
- The Royals over the Orioles: Should be a high scoring game with Arrieta and Davies. Toss up here.
- The Rockies over the Diamondbacks: Jhoulys Chacin has been great thus far and pitches well in Arizona. Enright with the loss.
- The Athletics over the Indians: These Indians are amazing, aren't they? But they face the A's ace in Cahill. Tomlin has been real good but it still seems like a mirage. How long can he keep winning with few strikeouts?
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Tough game to pick with Wilson opposing young phenom, Pineda. Still think the Rangers are the better team. But they sure need Hamilton back.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Cardinals over the Marlins: Carpenter has to win some time. Facing Javier Vazquez could be just the ticket.
Games of the Day: 16-18