But there were more good picks than bad. Toronto had a good game over the Bay Rays. Lincecum didn't give the Mets anything, nor did Wilson the Mariners. And Cahill was as good as predicted against the Indians to finally give that team a loss. The amount of correct picks brought the week to even and the month as well. But the dang Game of the Day feature is back on a losing streak and several games under .500. Irritating.
Surprisingly, there are twelve games on Thursday's schedule. There hasn't been a single Monday or Thursday yet where hardly anyone played a game. Eight games are day games. You have to love that. But the Red Sox and Angels probably don't after finishing their game just a few hours ago. Pity the poor Angels who have to catch a plane back to the West Coast after the game. Here are the picks for Thursday:
- The Astros over the Reds: If you have followed this feature for a while, you know the Fan hardly ever picks a pitcher coming off the DL to win. Thus picking Brett Myers over the returning Homer Bailey.
- The Yankees over the Tigers: You have to like A. J. Burnett's chances in that big ballpark. So the Yankees win even though Rick Porcello has been very good of late.
- The Bay Rays over the Blue Jays: Kyle Drabek is a rookie and as such, you can't expect him to win games against the elite teams of the league. He showed that against the Yankees his last time out. Meanwhile, David Price has been somewhat of a mystery this season. Thinking he has a big game today.
- The Giants over the Mets: Sanchez should shut down the Mets while the Giants and their limited offense gets to Pelfrey, who hasn't been very good. Aubrey Huff is starting to hit.
- The Red Sox over the Angels: Expect John Lackey to shut down his former team and for the sleepy Red Sox hitters to muster enough runs over Pineiro. Expect this game to be quick with a wide strike zone for a quick getaway after last night's marathon.
- The Marlins over the Cardinals: The Fan has picked the Cardinals every game so far this series and that hasn't gone well. Today they get to face Josh Johnson, arguably the best arm in the NL. That said, this doesn't come with a ringing endorsement. Such easy picks are never easy. Jake Westbrook hurls for the Cards.
- The Royals over the Orioles: Bruce Chen is steady and should win. Chris Tillman can't keep himself in the game long enough and that puts the game in the Orioles' bullpen. Not good.
- The Athletics over the Indians: Brett Anderson is very, very good. Jeanmar Gomez is not.
- The Braves over the Brewers: Tough game to pick with Brandon Beachy and Shaun Marcum both being very good. The Brewers seem to have gone cold though and the Braves are starting to pick it up.
- The Diamondbacks over the Rockies: Another tough game to call. Both Jason Hammel and Ian Kennedy have been very good. Look for the D-backs to jump on Hammel in the first inning, which has been a problem for Hammel.
- The Rangers over the Mariners: If you go by the pitchers' ERA against the opposing team, this should be a Ranger win. Colby Lewis had a 1.55 ERA against the Mariners including a 1.18 in Safeco. Vargas has a 4.86 ERA against the Rangers. So the Rangers should win 5-2, no?
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Nationals: This one should be an easy pick with Roy Halladay, the beast of the east, matching up with John Lannon.
Games of the Day: 16-19 grrr