It's amazing that June is already here. But isn't that what all old people say? Anyway, a new month is here and perhaps it will be as fascinating as May was. Here are the picks for Wednesday:
- The Bay Rays over the Rangers: David Price won't lose at home. Not against Colby Lewis, he won't. Evan Longoria is back.
- The White Sox over the Red Sox: Sure, Tim Wakefield has made a sucker out of this picker twice in a row. Gavin Floyd will help this pick not following the same fate.
- The Astros over the Cubs: Brett Myers and Doug Davis are a combined 1-7. One of them has to win, right? Might as well go with the team that seems to fight until the end. That wouldn't be the Cubs. Somewhere, Sandberg is smiling.
- The Yankees over the Athletics: Gio Gonzalez is yet another Oakland pitcher with a 6.60 career ERA against the Yankees. Burnett has a 6-3 record against the A's with a career 3.88 ERA.
- The Mariners over the Orioles: Brian Matusz is back and he's good. But he's not as good as Michael Pineda.
- The Angels over the Royals: Yikes! The Royals start Felipe Paulino. Uh oh. Going with Tyler Chatwood and the Angels.
- The Tigers over the Twins: The Twins are hopeless. Scott Baker didn't give up a run in seven innings his last time out and then the bullpen gave up five runs in two innings. Rick Porcello better be better than he was against the Red Sox though.
- The Indians over the Blue Jays: How lucky are the Blue Jays? They were about to call up prospect, Brett Lawrie, and then he gets drilled on the hand in his last minor league game. Sheesh. Kyle Drabek hasn't been terrific and somehow, Josh Tomlin has been.
- The Brewers over the Reds: Shaun Marcum should baffle the Reds long enough for the Brew Crew to get to Mike Leake and/or the bullpen.
- The Pirates over the Mets: Kevin Correia leading the majors in wins!? Well, how about another win then? Chris Capuano and the bullpen give up enough to the Pirates to make it happen.
- The Braves over the Padres: Watched Tommy Hanson pitch for the first time last week. He throws weird. But it's more effective than Clayton Richard.
- The Diamondbacks over the Marlins: In Daniel Hudson, this site trusts. In Javier Vazquez, it doesn't.
- The Giants over the Cardinals: Was going to pick against Tim Lincecum, but can't. Jake Westbrook gives the Giants' offense a chance to score a couple of runs anyway.
- The Rockies over the Dodgers: This is one of those picks where the Fan has picked Ubaldo Jiminez to win every time he has started. It has to be right some time. Jon Garland goes for the Dodgers.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Nationals: John Lannon is 0-10 lifetime against the Phillies. Can you believe that? Roy Oswalt with the win.
May Final: 228-191 .554 percentage
Season: 443-367 .547 percentage
Games of the Day: 36-26 .581 percentage