A lot of the other losses were justifiable. The Royals put up a spirited game against the Bay Rays and won in extras. Good on them. Brad Bergesen of the Orioles threw a really good game and was protected by three good relief outings to beat the Angels. After the season Bergesen has been having, this Fan is happy for the guy. The Marlins had a stunning rally after being behind and scored five runs in two late innings to trip the Mets. They earned that win. And, unfortunately for them, the Toronto Blue Jays blew another save and should have beat the Rangers as predicted. But they didn't.
And so we jump into Sunday baseball, this Fan's favorite baseball day of the week. Lots of day games followed by Baseball Tonight at 7:00. Love it. Here are Sunday's picks:
- The Indians over the White Sox: Rained out yesterday and more rain in the forecast in Cleveland today. But if they play the game, Justin Masterson is this Fan's guy. Love the way he pitches. Edwin Jackson goes for the White Sox.
- The Yankees over the Athletics: Bartolo Colon's style will work better against Oakland than some other clubs and though Gio Gonzalez is a very good pitcher, he's terrible against the Yankees.
- The Mets over the Marlins: The Mets rarely lose when Dillon Gee pitches. It's sort of magical. Anibal Sanchez is really good and rarely gets a decision despite good pitching.
- The Orioles over the Angels: Jeremy Guthrie gets in these streaks where he is really, really good. He was great against the Red Sox his last time out. J.J. Hardy has been on fire. Tyler Chatwood goes for the Angels.
- The Padres over the Phillies: This is the upset pick of the day. Tim Stauffer has been superb and Roy Halladay gets to pitch on another really hot day.
- The Mariners over the Red Sox: The Mariners have to win some time and this is the day with Michael Pineda due for a dominant day and facing Tim Wakefield. Pineda will have to throw strikes though.
- The Pirates over the Cardinals: The Pirates salvage the final game of the series behind Charlie Morton. Kyle Lohse hasn't done well against the Pirates in the past and has a problem with one of his fingers.
- The Bay Rays over the Royals: There is a pall over the Bay Rays like they are waiting for the other shoe to drop (trades that is). But Alex Cobb has been very good and should continue that trend against the young Royals. Felipe Paulino has a big arm and pitches well, but rarely gets a win for his efforts.
- The Cubs over the Astros: A Cubs sweep? Yeah, they can beat the Astros. Matt Garza finally gets a win over a winless Jordan Lyles.
- The Giants over the Brewers: This game has a big game feel and we all know how Madison Bumgarner does in big games. Plus, the Giants are at home. Yovani Gallardo goes for the Brewers.
- The Rockies over the Diamondbacks: Ack! Two of the Fan's favorite pitchers head to head! Ubaldo Jiminez figures to win over Fan favorite Micah Owings. Alas.
- The Tigers over the Twins: Rick Porcello has a 2.64 ERA lifetime against the Twins. Francisco Lirano will be waited out by the Tigers.
- The Dodgers over the Nationals: Tough game to pick here. Jason Marquis can be very good. But so can Clay Billingsley at home. Hmm...
- The Braves over the Reds: The heart is with Dontrelle Willis who gets the start for the Reds. But the head says Brandon Beachy gets the win.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Rangers over the Blue Jays: Alexi Ogando is back on his game and should limit the big Blue Jays' line up. Brett Cecil is a mystery.
Yesterday: 8-6 with one postponement.
Last Week: 56-37
Games of the Day: 71-41