The White Sox were picked against, but they showed they aren't dead yet either. And they started that game against the Tigers by committing two gaffes on infield pop ups that allowed two initial runs to score. Pretty resilient, those White Sox. The Bay Rays lost to Oakland? Once it became a bullpen game, yeah, they did. J.P. Howell now has an ERA over nine. Perhaps the Bay Rays are trying to lose enough to justify those trades they want to make. And then the Reds lost to the Mets. Yeah, the Reds are poised to make a run, right? Apparently not. You have to be able to string some wins to make a run. The Reds don't seem capable of doing so. Game pickers only think they are.
So, there it was. A bad night. The first two nights of this week have now been in the red. Lucy, we have some work to do. With shovel in hand, here are Tuesday's picks:
- The Indians over the Angels: Okay. The Indians beat Dan Haren, so they can beat Jared Weaver right? Well, heck yeah. Cliff Lee lost yesterday. So Jared Weaver can lose. Besides, Josh Tomlin has eleven wins already.
- The Nationals over the Marlins: This picker has to stick with fave, Jordan Zimmermann. After all, he only has a few more starts. Ricky Nolasco goes for the Marlins. He should last longer than a third of an inning this time.
- The Yankees over the Mariners: The law of averages say that the Mariners have to win some time. But they shouldn't against C.C. Sabathia at home. Poor Doug Fister gets the start for the Mariners who are lost at sea.
- The Phillies over the Giants: Great pitching match up of Tim Lincecum versus Vance Worley. Going with the Phillies at home.
- The Blue Jays over the Orioles: Brandon Morrow is a stud in the making. He has to learn what Clayton Kershaw had to learn. You throw strikes and you last long enough to get wins. Jake Arrieta gets the start for the Orioles.
- The Red Sox over the Royals: Flirted with going with the Royals since Danny Duffy was so good his last time out. But, the pick seemed insane in the end. Andrew Miller starts for the Sox.
- The Reds over the Mets: Tough game to gauge. Jonathan Niese can be really good. But picking against Johnny Cueto has bit this picker too often this season.
- The Braves over the Pirates: Yes, the Pirates are a great story. But we have to be realistic. Tommy Hanson is a really good pitcher and he can shut down the Buccos. Meanwhile, Jeff Karstens with his eleven pitch innings, should bend enough to allow the Braves to steal this one.
- The Rangers over the Twins: Can feel a Pavano coming. The Twins seem down. The Rangers are hot. And then along comes Carl Pavano to laugh at this picker. Bring it on. C.J. Wilson stands in his way.
- The Cubs over the Brewers: Ryan Dempster trips up the Brewers and Chris Narveson. Hey, it could happen.
- The Tigers over the White Sox: The White Sox should not have any answer for Justin Verlander. Jake Peavy pitches for the ChiSox.
- The Cardinals over the Astros: It's not that Jake Westbrook should be that great. It's simply that the Cardinals should be the better team. Brett Myers goes for the Astros.
- The Padres over the Diamondbacks: Dustin Moseley has been bending, but he doesn't break. Joe Saunders can be had. The Padres are playing pretty well.
- The Dodgers over the Rockies: It's too bad most of the country has no idea of how great Clayton Kershaw has been this season. Jhoulys Chacin gets the start for the Rockies.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Bay Rays over the Athletics: David Price needs to have an ace-like game. It's about time, right? Brandon McCarthy is vulnerable for the Bay Rays.
Games of the Day: 72-42