Another week of picking came to a close with Saturday's results. There are only two weeks left of the season. Can you believe it? The picks finished up yesterday with nine out of fifteen correct for the second straight day. Over all, it was a decent week but it started better than it finished. Yesterday's most impressive picks were the Athletics over the Tigers and the Yankees over the Mariners. Let's start another week in style:
- The Yankees over the Blue Jays: Yes, Jeter, Granderson and Teixeira are getting the day off to rest but the Yankees will still win. Freddie Garcia will have a good game and Brandon Morrow just hasn't put it together all season.
- The Angels over the Orioles: Jared Weaver has looked human since he pitched on three days rest against Texas two weeks ago (still stupid in retrospect) and his velocity has dropped. But even so, he should win over Alfredo Simon. The Angels are all but out of it.
- The Nationals over the Marlins: Chien-Ming Wang will slow down the hot Marlins especially if he gets through the first inning safely. Brad (talk to the) Hand goes for the Marlins.
- The Braves over the Mets: Brandon Beachy is coming off a dominant start against the Marlins. Dillon Gee has been slowing down and can't seem to survive the sixth inning these days. The Braves' offense has been sleepy though.
- The Bay Rays over the Red Sox: This one should be lopsided as David Price should be able to shut down the Red Sox and Tim Wakefield is on the mound for the Sox. Love Wakefield, but his ERA is very high. If the Bay Rays were smart, they would bunt for base hits as Wakefield cannot get to them.
- The Royals over the White Sox: Is the Ozzie era coming to a close in Chicago? It sure seems like it. The team is sleepwalking. The Royals, on the other hand are playing great baseball. Bruce Chen over John Danks.
- The Indians over the Twins: If this picker was running the Indians, Justin Masterson would be shut down as he is fading down the stretch. But the Twins have little to fight with and Carl Pavano's heart won't be enough.
- The Cubs over the Astros: Ryan Dempster is always a good pick at home in Chicago. Brett Myers has been good lately though.
- The Rockies over the Giants: The Rockies will score some runs off of Matt Cain in Coors Field. This win will depend on if Esmil Rogers can build on his last great performance against the Brewers.
- The Diamondbacks over the Padres: The Padres' home park has been a safe haven for Aaron Harang, but it should also benefit Joe Saunders. The D-backs have been stumbling lately and need a win to get this division done.
- The Tigers over the Athletics: Bob Melvin has done a nice job in Oakland since taking over for that other Bob who was terrible. But they face Justin Verlander who will try to seal up the Cy Young Award today against Guillermo Moscoso.
- The Dodgers over the Pirates: The Dodgers finish off the Pirates and Chad Billingsley will have a good day. Brad Lincoln battles but won't get enough run support in this one.
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Josh Hamilton is killing the ball again and the Rangers' offense will outlast Felix Hernandez. Matt Harrison with the win.
- The Cardinals over the Phillies: As we saw with the Tigers yesterday, the day after clinching is a sleepy day for the clinchers. The Cardinals' hope is fading but Chris Carpenter will keep it alive, such as it is. Cole Hamels goes for the Phillies.
- The Brewers over the Reds: As much as this Fan tries to will Dontrelle Willis a win, it simply won't happen. Zack Greinke won't let it. The game does feature two of the best hitting pitchers in baseball though.
Last week: 57-36
Games of the Day: 104-62