Life for a baseball game picker has gotten sure confusing down the stretch. Teams like the Phillies and Red Sox keep losing. The Yankees took care of business to secure their division. How many games will they care to win down the stretch? Teams like the Rangers and Diamondbacks are still attempting to put their divisions to bed. And then teams like the Angels and Cardinals are like horses trying to win at the wire with a strong finish. One thing seems sure and that is the Bay Rays have been hurt badly by the Yankees in their hopes for a wildcard. They were only a game back in the loss column to the Red Sox but after getting swept, they fell two games in the loss column despite the Boston loss. It's all very exciting but very hard to predict.
Only ten games are on today's schedule which seems puny after having seventeen and sixteen for the last two days. But less games doesn't make it easier. The picks for Thursday:
- The Mariners over the Twins: It sure isn't difficult to pick against the Twins these days. The poor blighters. Blake Beavan has been very good for the Mariners and Anthony Swarzak is mostly irrelevant for the Twins.
- The Cardinals over the Mets: Jake Westbrook isn't a mortal lock and Chris Capuano is a professional big league pitcher. But the Mets aren't exactly giving the Cards much of a run for their money.
- The Rangers over the Athletics: Trevor Cahill is sort of a Rangers killer but this is a determined Rangers bunch. We all know what Colby Lewis can do in big games.
- The Orioles over the Tigers: Zach Britton is finishing strong for the O's and the Tigers are coasting after clinching and pitch young Jacob Turner.
- The Indians over the White Sox: The White Sox have already won this season series and Phil Humber has been good and okay of late. Jeanmar Gomez is on a roll for the Indians though so that's the pick.
- The Rays over the Yankees: The Yankees will have their Triple A team on the field after clinching. Expect Romine behind the plate and Pena and Ramirez somewhere in the infield. Perhaps we'll even see some of their young pitching today. Matt Moore has his first start for the Bay Rays and he's very good.
- The Nationals over the Phillies: Brad Peacock gets his second win and the Phillies will get a few tune up innings from Roy Oswalt. Otherwise, they won't care very much either way.
- The Blue Jays over the Angels: Henderson Alvarez has the stuff to shut down the Angels and Ervin Santana will allow a couple of Blue Jays to score.
- The Rockies over the Astros: Alex White is homer-prone but has still won three of five decisions. Henry Sosa hasn't been half bad for the Astros.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Giants over the Dodgers: Hiroki Kuroda is good at home, but Madison Bumgarner just may be the Giants' best pitcher. He's had a great second half.
Games of the Day: 107-63