Yesterday was not a good picking day. In fact, it was awful. With seventeen games to choose from, only seven were correct. The Red Sox were playing the Yankees. The Yankees have nothing to play for. The Red Sox have everything to play for. And yet they came up with a dud. The Phillies haven't won a game since they clinched. Whuh? Thought the Brewers would be hung over after their clinch. They weren't. Thought the same for Texas except they drank ginger ale. There were reservations about picking against Aaron Harang at home. They should have been heeded. Ricky Romero pitched as well as this picker thought he would. But his fielders couldn't catch the ball in one of the worst Blue Jays games of the season. That's just how it went. If it wasn't for Ian Kennedy and the Twins consistent inability to win a game, the whole day would have been a disaster.
There are sixteen more games today as MLB is having one final lurch before it all ends for the regular season. It's so weird for the season to end in the middle of a week. That hasn't happened in this writer's lifetime. This picker will keep picking right through the playoffs and World Series. But this week is it for the regular season.
- The Tigers over the Orioles: Poor Brian Matusz has been so bad it's painful to watch. His ERA is over ten. Over ten! Even Brad Penny can beat that.
- The Yankees over the Red Sox: Tim Wakefield versus A.J. Burnett. To think we could have had a Burnett - Lackey combo. Now that would have been serio-tragic. But the thought here is that Burnett can get more Red Sox out than Wakefield can at this point.
- The Indians over the Twins: Fausto Carmona over Liam Hendriks. The Twins are two games away from one hundred losses. Unbelievable.
- The Braves over the Nationals: If ever Mike Minor needed a big game, this is it. He faces Ross Detwiler, who can be tough at times. The Braves are in trouble...
- The Pirates over the Reds: Aww Dontrelle Willis. This picker really rooted for you. It wasn't to be. James McDonald gets his last start of the season and it will be a good one.
- The Bay Rays over the Blue Jays: Don't have much faith in either Wade Davis or Brett Cecil. But the Bay Rays should win.
- The Astros over the Rockies: Both teams are playing with Triple A talent right now. Who knows. Jhoulys Chacin has not been good in the second half and Lucas Harrell is somewhat talented. Sheesh.
- The Marlins over the Brewers: Yes, this was a bad pick yesterday. But Ricky Nolasco is capable of a big outing and the Marlins will push Chris Narveson out of the playoff rotation.
- The Royals over the White Sox: Luis Mendoza! Love this kid. He throws enough zeroes for the Royals to beat Gavin Floyd.
- The Cubs over the Cardinals: Edwin Jackson. The season comes down to this trade deadline pitcher. Gosh. Randy Wells has had a really good second half and that's what this picker thinks will sink the Cards.
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Derek Holland won't pitch long but the Rangers will party against Charlie Furbush.
- The Angels over the Athletics: Rick Harden is not enough of a road block to keep the Angels from keeping their wild card dream alive. Joel Pineiro goes for the Angels.
- The Dodgers over the Padres: Clayton Kershaw has no easy match up with Cory Luebke, who can really pitch. But Kershaw will win and strengthen his Cy Young Award cause.
- The Giants over the Diamondbacks: It really looked like the Giants quit yesterday against Arizona. But Tim Lincecum goes out with a bang and beats Josh Collmenter.
- The Yankees over the Red Sox: Alas for the Red Sox, they came into this double-header with their worst two pitchers. Ivan Nova over John Lackey.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Mets: Okay, enough of this nonsense. Roy Halladay with a playoff tune up is still better than Mike Pelfrey going full strength.
Yesterday: 7-10 ouch
Last week: 52-45
Games of the Day: 108-65