Yesterday was a crappy little short day. Only two of the picks were correct and fortunately, one of them was the Game of the Day. As for the Tigers...there are no words. They can't even win when Justin Verlander pitches. The Padres scored a week's worth of runs for them. The Phillies and Cardinals played a donnybrook with the wrong team coming out ahead. You just have to shake your head in amazement at Melky Cabrera. His one man wrecking crew ruined another pick and Dan Haren used the occasion to finally get his act together. You could have at least warned this picker, Dan.
Back to a full schedule on this Friday to start the Memorial Day Weekend. Here are Friday's picks:
- The Cubs over the Pirates: The Cubs should really trade Ryan Dempster. The poor guy keeps pitching his heart out and can't buy a win. He gets the pick tonight in sympathy. Well, that and A.J. Burnett is pitching and who knows how THAT will go.
- The Orioles over the Royals: Bruce Chen has won three straight. The Orioles have a good lineup to counteract him though. Jason Hammel looked like an ace earlier in the season, but problems with his knee have made him a mere mortal again.
- The Reds over the Rockies: This is the first winning streak the Reds have had since 2010. And they are hot with the bats and on the mound. Johnny Cueto has been terrific. He is the pick over Christian Friedrich, who has been very good on the road.
- The Mets over the Padres: The Padres will not score eleven runs again. Dillon Gee has been pretty good of late. Anthony Bass is a pretty good pitcher though.
- The Marlins over the Giants: Tim Lincecum hasn't had his stuff all season. Josh Johnson is starting to put his stuff together.
- The Red Sox over the Bay Rays: Jon Lester is a bit of a puzzle to this picker. But let's say that he shuts down the Rays on offense. Does Alex Cobb have the stuff to shut down the Red Sox? Don't think so.
- The Braves over the Nationals: Have no idea on this one. Ross Detwiler was great. Now he's not. Tim Hudson was hurt. Now he's not. Why do this every day? #facepalm
- The Blue Jays over the Rangers: Brandon Morrow has been nearly unhittable. And he historically is even better on the road. Derek Holland lost to the Astros his last time out. That alone is worth a wet noodle.
- The Indians over the White Sox: Jeanmar Gomez is hardly someone to hang a hat on, but the White Sox are stuck starting Jose Quintana since John Danks has to go on the disabled list.
- The Tigers over the Twins: The Emoticon, Drew Smyly versus Anthony Swarzak. Do you remember that golf movie with Kevin Costner, when he had the lead in the tournament and in the worst ending for a movie of all time, stubbornly kept hitting balls into the water on the last hole? Yeah, that's this Fan picking the Tigers.
- The Phillies over the Cards: Kept wanting to pick the Cards in this one. But dang, Cliff Lee has to show up here sooner or later. Look what Dan Haren did yesterday. Kyle Lohse could have something to say about the outcome though.
- The Diamondbacks over the Brewers: Ian Kennedy has yet to string good outings together. He'll figure it out though and the D-backs get to Yovani Gallardo at home.
- The Yankees over the Athletics: Ivan Nova over Tyson Ross seems kind of like a no- brainer.
- The Angels over the Mariners: The Mariners have taken over as the official toughest team to predict. Blake Beavan has been brutal to this picker all season. And who knows what Ervin Santana will do.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Dodgers over the Astros: How can you not pick Clayton Kershaw? Not these days. Not against the Astros. Not against Lucas Harrell.
Games of the Day: 28-20