Well, what do you know, a day in the black. It wasn't a superb picking performance and the Game of the Day lost. The Yankees lost...AGAIN! The wrong ace was picked in the Mariners - Rangers game. The Mets bullpen wrecked yet another pick. But, after so many losing days, this picker will take what he can get. That Astros pick was pretty sweet, wasn't it. And so was the pick for the A's behind Tommy Milone.
Perhaps the picks can get on a bit of a roll here. Perhaps the dark days are over. Perhaps the Yankees will win a game. Perhaps there is pie in the sky and the moon is made of Swiss cheese. Tuesday's picks:
- The Red Sox over the Orioles: The death of the Boston Red Sox was announced prematurely. You never give up on a team with this much talent. Felix Doubront beats Brian Matusz today in the battle of youngsters.
- The Tigers over the Indians: Rick Porcello has to pitch well for this pick to happen and Ubaldo Jimenez has to have one of his wild nights. But, the Tigers have to shake themselves out of this rut sooner or later.
- The Yankees over the Royals: This picker is going to keep picking the Yankees until they actually win a game. It is an act of stubbornness beyond logic. Phil Hughes comes up big and the Yankees finally break out with runs against Luke Hochevar.
- The Pirates over the Mets: R.A. Dickey is tough to pick against. He is having one heck of a season. But at least his offerings give the Pirates a chance to hit the ball. Plus, James McDonald is one of the top young guns in the game today.
- The Nationals over the Phillies: No, it is probably not smart to pick against Roy Halladay. But the Phillies' offense is putrid and Jordan Zimmermann will keep it that way. The Nats need three runs to win. It's doable.
- The Braves over the Reds: Brandon Beachy has been impeccable. The Reds lineup is top-heavy with strikeout, anxious hitters that Beachy can exploit. The Braves win if they score a few runs off of Matt Latos.
- The Marlins over the Rockies: The Marlins are showing a lot of spirit these days and the Rockies are simply an awful road team. In the battle of rhyming pitchers, Juan Nicasio loses to Ricky Nolasco.
- The Blue Jays over the Bay Rays: Have a feeling this series is going to vex this picker the entire way. Thought Hellickson would win. He didn't. Don't think Matt Moore will win. He probably will then. Drew Hutchison needs to have a big outing to make this come true.
- The Astros over the Cubs: J.A. Happ has been fouling up picks all season with decent start after decent start. His last start against the Brewers was more than decent. So let's pick him, shall we? The Cubs starting Travis Wood, who is replacing the awful Chris Volstad, doesn't offer much hope.
- The Giants over the Brewers: Shauan Marcum is dealing with a tender ribcage muscle, but thinks he will be alright. That definitely scares this pick away from him. Matt Cain with the win.
- The Cardinals over the Padres: Can you imagine Tony La Russa playing all those young kids? No, this picker can't either. Two questionable pitchers go in this one with Edinson Volquez and Adam Wainwright. Since those two cancel each other out, going with the better offense.
- The Dodgers over the Diamondbacks: The Dodgers just keep winning. And Aaron Harang has been good of late. The Diamondback's season is slipping away and Trevor Cahill isn't helping.
- The Angels over the Athletics: This isn't an endorsement for the Angels as that team stinks. Sorry, they do. But C.J. Wilson should beat Graham Godfrey, shouldn't he?
- The Rangers over the Mariners: Matt Harrison will benefit from pitching in Seattle and the Rangers will hit Hector Noesi like they did the first time they faced him.
And the Game of the Day!
- The White Sox over the Twins: Gavin Floyd was not very good his last start, but has had a good season. PJ Walters isn't awful, but is homer prone.
Games of the Day: 27-19