While yesterday's game picks ended over .500 for the day (barely), it was a disappointment. The day started pretty darned well and at one point stood at 6-2. The Mariners pick over the Rangers was brilliant as was the Red Sox over the Orioles. But the later games, which had been what has saved many a day lately, fell apart and the day ended with just two more correct picks out of seven. This picker is just sick of picking the Tigers only to have them lose game after game. And a pick against Wandy Rodriguez is insane these days.
Many teams get a well-earned rest today and for once, it is a light schedule. This picker cannot ever remember another season where so many games were played with so few off days. Here are the picks for the games that are scheduled:
- The Tigers over the Indians: Yeah, what was just said in the first paragraph? Yeah, crazy, right? But it is Justin Verlander! You have to pick Justin Verlander! Of course, with the way the Tigers are going, Justin Masterson will blank the Tigers and the game will go into extra innings. Geez.
- The Reds over the Braves: Maybe the Reds found something in the Bronx this week. They carried it forward to yesterday and beat the Braves in a tight game. Homer Bailey looked good against the Yankees. Can he string two good games in a row? Randall Delgado goes for the Braves and that instills little confidence to throw the pick that way.
- The Mets over the Padres: What the heck to do with this game? Eric Stults goes for the Padres against Jeremy Hefner for the Mets. Yes, that's right. What would you do? Let's go with the team that has the better offense.
- The Marlins over the Giants: Another confusing game. Both Ryan Vogelsong and Anibal Sanchez are pitching really well. Let's go with a Marlins' win on a Giancarlo Stanton dinger.
- The Cardinals over the Phillies: It is Joe Blanton versus Jake Westbrook. Any inclination that Westbrook gives up hits will be mitigated by the Phillies' poor offense. Blanton was a lock earlier this season but had a bad outing his last time out and faces a tough Cardinal lineup.
- The Mariners over the Angels: Another tough pick. Dan Haren is 1-5 and that seems incredible. But he has not been that great and gets no run support. It's not like the Mariners are big hitters or anything. And this picker has been burned often this season picking against Jason Vargas.
And the Game of the Day!
- The White Sox over the Twins: Philip Humber should get the win here as the Twins start some young, hometown kid named Cole De Vries. His Triple-A numbers do not look pretty.