Boy, is this game picker one grouchy hombre this morning. Waking up artificially early to pick these games before the usual eight o'clock Sunday tee time. And once again clouds predominate and the temps are in the 40s. Day after day of the same crap up here, the dark clouds a symbol of this life. The radar shows threatening weather. The radar also shows that this particular part of New England is the only part that has clouds. Machester, New Hampshire hit 80 degrees yesterday. We hit 52. And to top is all off, the picks sucked for the second straight day and after the week started 20-8, it finished 52-46. Oh. and Happy Mothers Day.
- The Mets over the Marlins: Jon Niese and Carlos Zambrano both get people out. But they both are not efficient in doing so. Which one blinks more today? Nobody this side of Josh Hamilton is hotter than David Wright right now.
- The Nationals over the Reds: The Nats' offense is really a concern. But Bronson Arroyo should help that cause. Edwin Jackson is about as predictable as a frisky kitten. Your guess is as good as this picker's.
- The Red Sox over the Indians: Daniel Bard is always left in by Bobby Valentine for one inning too long. Perhaps if that reverses today, this pick will be right. The Red Sox offense will wait out Justin Masterson.
- The Astros over the Pirates: Wandy Rodriguez should hold the Pirates' offense in check. But will this be the good A.J or the bad A.J. The Yankees could never figure it out either. The pick is that it will be the bad A.J. Burnett.
- The Phillies over the Padres: Again. When will this picker ever learn that the Phillies can't hit? But Cole Hamels should like no-hit the Padres, right? And what the heck with Jeff Suppan? 2-0? Seriously? This game gives a picker heartburn.
- The Bay Rays over the Orioles: Still have blinders on about the Orioles. They can't be this good. They just can't be. James Shields over Jake Arrieta gentille arrieta.
- The Cubs over the Brewers: What is more likely: a bad outing by Jeff Samardzija or a good one by Marco Estrada? Exactly.
- The White Sox over the Royals: Giving up picking the Royals. Should just leave out this pick every day. Can't figure them out. One day Luke Hochevar is the worst pitcher in baseball. The next time out, he is the best. Who the heck knows from day to day. And Phil Humber? How can a guy throw a perfect game and then get nobody else out for two games? Danny Duffy gets the start for the Royals.
- The Blue Jays over the Twins: Scott Diamond had a very good start in his season debut last time out. But Ricky Romero is a very good pitcher for the Blue Jays.
- The Cardinals over the Braves: Lance Lynn is 6-0. And it isn't a fluke either. He is pitching that well. Tommy Hanson is erratic but can be very tough. Going with Lynn.
- The Tigers over the Athletics: Screw you, Tigers. What the heck is up with you guys? You can't win a series with the A's when they have a .216 batting average as a team and Cespedes is out? Your season is worse than the Red Sox. How do you like that? Justin Verlander over Jarrod Parker.
- The Dodgers over the Rockies: Ted Lilly should win at home. Alex White was good his last time out. But that doesn't mean he will be in this one.
- The Diamondbacks over the Giants: In the battle of the loony lefties, it's Barry Zito and Joe Saunders. May the best screwball win.
- The Rangers over the Angels: Should not pick against Jered Weaver. But the Rangers have so many weapons. A lot will depend on how good Neftali Feliz is today.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Yankees over the Mariners: Who knows what to expect of Andy Pettitte. A year is a long time. Forty years old is nothing compared to Moyer. He is a little grayer. But he still looks the same. But if the Yankees can't score a pile of runs off of Kevin Millwood, they won't deserve to win anyway.
Last week: 52-46
Games of the Day: 21-16