The Father's Day Game Picks edition was just barely above a wash. But considering the day itself with a fun round of golf, perfect weather and two phone calls from the kids, it was still a perfect day here at the top of Maine. And besides, nothing that happened in the picks could match the kind of bad day that Jim Furyk had yesterday. Poor blighter.
Interleague play keeps rolling along. What is this, the third week now? Must be. Anyway, Monday is a travel day for quite a few teams or an off day depending how you look at it. But, there are still nine games on the schedule and that is not bad. Here are Monday's picks:
- The Yankees over the Braves: Until this streak ends, you simply have to keep picking the Yankees. C.C. Sabathia is the ace and though he hasn't pitched like one lately, that is still the case. Mike Minor pitched his best game ever against the Yankees last time. So perhaps it will be interesting.
- The Reds over the Indians: Mat Latos is pitching really well. Derek Lowe has fallen on some hard times. The Indians' lineup is spotting and inconsistent. The only hesitation with this pick is the fact that the Indians are at home.
- The Mets over the Orioles: Jake Arrieta pitched really well his last time out but hasn't had a good season overall. And this picker picked against ten-game winner, R.A. Dickey last time and that was a dumb mistake that won't be repeated.
- The Royals over the Astros: The Royals are really playing well of late. But this pitching match up is for the birds. Jonathan Sanchez (Ugh) goes for the Royals against J.A. Happ who has been really bad over his last four starts.
- The Cubs over the White Sox: In any other game, this pick would be for the White Sox, but the White Sox are starting Zach Stewart, who has been in the bullpen and ineffective doing that. Matt Garza has a chance to win at least for the Cubs.
- The Brewers over the Blue Jays: Henerson Alvarez has turned into a home run producing machine this season. The Brewers have some guys who can hit the ball out. The Brewers also play really tough at home. Going with them and Randy Wolf.
- The Giants over the Angels: It's difficult to pick against Jerome Williams. But the pick has to go for Matt Cain. The caveat is that no pitcher that has pitched a no-hitter or perfect game this season has had a good outing the next time out. Cain seems built to buck that trend.
- The Rangers over the Padres: Matt Harrison was just featured here this week in praise. So it would be sort of stupid to pick against him, wouldn't it? Jason Marquis goes for the Padres who are at home. The Rangers lose a bat in the lineup, but have plenty more.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Diamondbacks over the Mariners: Wade Miley his having a nice season and should win at home. Hector Noesi has often pitched well but lost. Noesi has sometimes pitched really badly and lost too. Either way, he loses.
Games of the Day: 44-28