Interleague ends. Normal games are back. The picks go in the toilet. Oh my. That was not good. How bad was it? One of the few correct picks was a pick for Barry Zito. Yeah, that is bad. Nothing went right. Strasburg lost. Was Karstens really picked? Was that a moment of insanity? What happened to Felix Doubront? Yikes, that was brutal. And the Strasburg game was the Game of the Day. Double grrrr.
Okay. It is time to forget all about it and pick Tuesday's games:
- The Angels over the Orioles: In a battle of lefties, the pick has to go to C.J. Wilson over Brian Matusz, whose gains earlier in the season seem to be sliding down again.
- The Yankees over the Indians: This is the Indians' best chance to take a game in this series as Justin Masterson has been very good of late and Phil Hughes is always a disaster waiting to happen. But you can't pick against the Yankees these days.
- The Phillies over the Pirates: Jimmy Rollins is on a homer binge. Erik Bedard has been absolutely awful on the road and Vance Worley usually keeps the Phillies in the game.
- The Braves over the Diamondbacks: Not since Henry Hudson sailed on the Hudson River have we had so much excitement with the name, Hudson. Going with Tim Hudson over Daniel Hudson as the Braves are at home.
- The Reds over the Brewers: Faced with having to pick the homer machine, Bronson Arroyo, or a pitcher who is 0-3 and just coming off the disabled list (Marco Estrada) is not a whole lot of fun. One of them has to win.
- The Cardinals over the Marlins: Is it official now? Can we truly say that the Marlins are a mess? Is the Ozzie death watch on? Hey, Heath, was your command messed up or was it just a bad game. Who asks those kinds of stupid questions anyway? Kyle Lohse over Carlos Zambrano.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: Aaron Laffey is pitching in a non-laffey situation. In other words, he is starting. What is a laffey? That is when the game is lopsided and Aaron Laffey comes in the game for mop duty. That is his career. That is his destiny. Not starting against the Red Sox. Daisuke Matsuzaka gets his first win of the season.
- The Rangers over the Tigers: Don't care if Josh Hamilton is in a slump. Yu Darvish will shut down the Tigers and The Emoticon, Drew Smyly, is back from the disabled list.
- The Cubs over the Mets: Can the Cubs win two straight games started by Travis Wood and now Randy Wells? Why, yes they can. Have you seen the Mets record in Wrigley since 2000? It is something like 10-22. That is the pick even though Dillon Gee is on a roll.
- The Asros over the Padres: Okay. somebody want to help out on this one? Jordan Lyles against the return-from-the-dead Kip Wells. Oh dear Lord, what do you do with this?
- The Bay Rays over the Royals: It is pretty bad when you would rather go with the unknown quantity of Chris Archer over the known quantity of Bruce Chen, especially when Chen has not fared well against the Rays in the past.
- The Nationals over the Rockies: Christian Friedrich has been good for the Rockies, but Gio Gonzalez has to be the pick for this one. The Nationals' offense is in a deep funk though.
- The Athletics over the Mariners: Travis Blackley made his major league debut for the Mariners way back in 2004. Now he gets to beat them. Jason Vargas will try to have something to say about that. He better limit the long ball if he hopes to.
- The Giants over the Dodgers: Ryan Vogelsong out-duels Clayton Kershaw as the Giants inch closer to the lead of the NL West. Is Kemp ever coming back?
And the Game of the Day!
- The White Sox over the Twins: Liriano can't pitch every day, so this one is safe. Gavin Floyd has to be the pick over Liam Hendriks.
Games of the Day: 49-31