What an amazing night for a game picker! The picks yesterday were the picking equivalent of sticking a golf ball within a foot of the cup on a par three hole. It was almost a hole in one! It was like a 279 game in bowling where you missed a perfect 300 game by one strike. In other words, Woohoo! Those are the days you dream about. There were only two incorrect picks. The Royals beat the Bay Rays. And the Mariners beat the A's. This picker can live with that.
So how do you follow up a day like that? You just try not to pooch it up too badly. Wednesday's picks:
- The Brewers over the Reds: It is very hard to pick against Zack Greinke these days. In his last start, he did away with the road games bugaboo and pitched brilliantly. Homer Bailey will have to pitch his heart out to keep up.
- The Yankees over the Indians: The Yankees will make Ubaldo Jimenez throw strikes, which means he might last five innings. Andy Pettitte needs to limit long balls and the Yanks pick up yet another win.
- The White Sox over the Twins: Chris Sale scares this picker. He looks so fragile. But he keeps on pitching great, so we'll go with him over Nick Blackburn.
- The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: Jon Lester, in a perfect world, should beat Ricky Romero. Romero's 8-1 record is not indicative of how he has pitched and the same goes for Lester. Will Middlebrooks has gone 1 for 8 with two errors since Youkilis was traded. Oops.
- The Bay Rays over the Royals: Tough game to call. Matt Moore needs to pitch better than he has and go longer in his outings. And there is no telling what Everett Teaford will bring to the table.
- The Cubs over the Mets: Oh why the heck not go with a Cubs' sweep here. Jeff Samardzija has been falling off of late and may be a bit tired. Jon Niese is a pretty good pitcher. But the Mets can't seem to win at Wrigley.
- The Athletics over the Mariners: Which team will score more than two runs? Jarrod Parker has been solid and Kevin Millwood has been surprising at times. Who knows.
- The Giants over the Dodgers: The Giants are on a mission and a win ties them with the Dodgers. Chad Billingsley is always a mystery and Tim Lincecum got mad enough in his last start to finally pitch well. Someone should steal his cookies before this start and keep him mad.
- The Pirates over the Phillies: Raul Valdes is starting for the Phillies!? Seriously!? Well, alrighty then. The pick then gravitates to James McDonald.
- The Braves over the Diamondbacks: Two teams that can't seem to put it all together with two pitchers that should be better but are not. Trevor Cahill is just pitching okay and the same can be said for Tommy Hanson. Going with the home team: Braves.
- The Cardinals over the Marlins: Two teams going in opposite directions. The Marlins can't buy a win these days and Anibal Sanchez is baffling in how few games he wins. Joe Kelly does not inspire confidence, but going this his team anyway.
- The Tigers over the Rangers: Doug Fister needs to come up big for this to come true. But he is capable of doing that. Still not sold on Roy Oswalt until he has a few more starts under his belt.
- The Astros over the Padres: Lucas Harrell is 4- 1 at home. But that doesn't convince anything. Clayton Richard has won three straight, but that doesn't convince anything. One of them has to win.
- The Nationals over the Rockies: Jordan Zimmermann never gets run support. But he is at Coors Field, so maybe that will change. The Rockies are going with Edwar Cabrera, who has a big arm and no major league experience.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Angels over the Orioles: Jason Hammel has been good. Picked him for the All Star squad. But Jered Weaver is so much better.
Yesterday: 13-2 !!
Games of the Day: 50-31