Sunday was a brutal day for the Game Picks. The picks battled to break even all day and then collapsed at the end like the Yankees. Ugh. The Yankees. The A's had a great series. A hat tip to them. But it sure was costly on the picks. The Mariners again beating the Rays despite making twenty straight outs did not help. The Angels taking a game from the Rangers thanks to a terrible relief outing by Alexi Ogando did not help. Predicting a Mets win did not help. And on and on it went. A bad, bad day.
This picker is not sure if it's just the imagination or does it seem there are far less off days for the teams this year? Usually, either Monday is a really slow day or Thursday is. But this year, there are always a pretty good selection of games on both traditional off days. Today is no exception as there are thirteen games scheduled. As the Tigers and other teams are proving. The baseball season is a marathon. Here are Monday's picks:
- The Orioles over the Indians: Strange for this series to wrap through the weekend and into Monday. But the Orioles can't be complaining as they have had their way with the Indians and picked up four games on the Yankees. Tommy Hunter was good in his last outing and Justin Masterson was brutally bad against the Rays.
- The Pirates over the Cubs: Jeff Samardzija has ambushed his season with pitch counts and can't seem to get past the fifth inning these days. Erik Bedard is no great shakes either but if he wins, it will be his sixth win of the season, tying the most he's had since 2007. What a weird stat.
- The Braves over the Marlins: Mike Minor is starting to look like a decent pitcher and is rewarding the Braves' patience with him. Josh Johnson simply hasn't been the dominating pitcher we all expected. But then nothing about the Marlins has gone as expected.
- The Nationals over the Mets: The Mets have fallen and can't get up. Chris Young won't help as he should not be able to keep up with Jordan Zimmermann, one of this season's most consistent pitchers.
- The Red Sox over the Rangers: This game is fortunate for the Red Sox. They have their best pitcher this season, Felix Doubront, going against a tough Rangers' team with an ice cold Josh Hamilton and emergency starter, Scott Feldman.
- The Reds over the Astros: Wandy Rodriguez might be the next Astros player to get dealt. He will have plenty of scouts to be sure watching this start. But the Reds' Mat Latos should have a good day against a diminished Astros' lineup.
- The Twins over the White Sox: Francisco Liriano is always a wild card. And sometimes, he is just plain wild. Gavin Floyd is coming off the DL with a sore elbow. That never sounds good.
- The Cardinals over the Dodgers: Chad Billingsley has not had a good season. He's been a huge disappointment for the Dodgers. Joe Kelly has held his own as a rookie starter for the Cards.
- The Diamondbacks over the Rockies: Jonathan Sanchez? What are those crazy Rockies doing? Ian Kennedy put together a good start last time out.
- The Angels over the Royals: The Angels only have one left-handed back in their lineup. Bruce Chen is left-handed. Not a good thing for the Royals. C.J. Wilson will get the win.
- The Yankees over the Mariners: Kevin Millwood beat the Yankees earlier in the season. So there is a score to settle. The Yankees need a win to get back on track. Hiroki Kuroda needs a good game as the Yankees' bullpen is gassed.
- The Giants over the Padres: Clayton Richard is always good at home. But Ryan Vogelsong just keeps singing along. The Giants should win handily.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Brewers: Roy Halladay is back and while his first outing back did not remind anyone of Cy Young, it sure was better than Kyle Kendrick. The Brewers counter with Randy Wolf. John Mayberry, Jr. has been very hot.
Games of the Day: 60-43