Oh my! 13-2! Now that is a good day. Some of the mirth was removed when one of the incorrect picks was the Game of the Day pick as the Rockies actually won a game. Jeff Francis was very good for the Rockies in that one. The only other incorrect pick was the Giants as Tim Lincecum fell victim to two long balls that accounted for four of the Padres' six runs. But wow, that was a good day.
For the first time in what seems like all season, Thursday brings us a real abbreviated schedule. There are only eight games to be played today. Three of them are days games, so at least that is cool. Every day should include at least one or two day games. Here are Thursday's picks:
- The Bay Rays over the Orioles: What is to make of this one? James Shields is nowhere as good as he was last season. The Orioles could take him deep a couple of times. Chris Tillman has had three excellent starts and one really, really bad one. Plus, he's never beaten the Rays. Ah, heck. Let's go with the Rays.
- The Athletics over the Blue Jays: Thought about picking the Blue Jays here. Since he stopped throwing breaking balls, Aaron Laffey has been surprisingly good. Who knew? And Tommy Milone is like two different pitchers on the road and at home. He is not nearly as good on the road. But the A's are on such a serious roll and with Bautista sidelined, the pick has to go with the A's.
- The Dodgers over the Cardinals: Went back and forth on this game a few times. Jake Westbrook is on a bit of a roll. But that means he is due for a clunker. Chris Capuano's last start against the Cards came last year and it did not go well. But he is better this season (somewhat). Going with Hanley Ramirez and Matt Kemp coming up big.
- The Pirates over the Astros: Welcome again, A.J. Burnett, to the National League. The Astros should not give him much of a problem and Dallas Keuchel was hit hard his last start.
- The Brewers over the Nationals: The bullpen has been so sad for the Brewers that predicting a good outing form Yovani Gallardo is problematic. Because who will finish it? Axeford should finish it, but what does this picker know? Anyway, Edwin Jackson has been good of late, but still can't seem to win consistently.
- The Diamondbacks over the Mets: Matt Harvey is making his major league debut and that is a much anticipated event. However, that start comes in Arizona, a very tough place to pitch and some of the D-back's hitters are on fire like Jason Kubel, Miguel Montero and even Lyle Overbay. Plus, Wade Miley has had a terrific season.
- The Mariners over the Royals: The Mariners have been getting good pitching and they have a good bullpen. Jason Vargas has been good and he gets the start. The only question is whether the Mariners will score. Luis Mendoza relies so much on contact, that any start really depends on how the ball bounces...literally.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Tigers over the Indians: The Indians are one of the few teams to beat Justin Verlander this season. But he only gave up two runs in that game. The Indians' offense is nearly non-existent. Zach McAllister has been terrific this season, but he can't keep up with Verlander.
Season: 805- 644
Games of the Day: 62-44