Sunday was a good day. Even the prediction of the predictions was dead on. Here is a quote from yesterday's post: "For Sunday, the goal is to get a Game of the Day pick correct and get ten correct picks." Well, there were ten correct picks and for the first time in what seems like a week, the Game of the Day pick was correct.
Of the five incorrect picks, the Cardinals are, of course, the most frustrating. They again could not beat the Cubs. While this picker is happy for the Astros who finally won a game, it blew that pick. The total ineptness of the Indians should have been noted in the picks and wasn't. The Orioles finally ended the A's streak and the pitching of Chen should have been the pick but again, wasn't. The biggest surprise of the weekend was the Dodgers totally taking care of the Giants this weekend. They beat both Cain and Vogelsong which is very impressive. If only the picks had been smart enough to see that coming.
There are twelve games on the schedule today. Again, not bad for a Monday. Some big divisional games are on tap too. Here are Monday's picks:
- The Rangers over the Angels: First we had the 75 pitch thing in Colorado. Now we have the 15 out rule for Ervin Santana. What? This pick isn't thrilled about picking Roy Oswalt, but that is the pick today.
- The Yankees over the Orioles: A battle of fifth starters as Freddy Garcia goes against Miguel Gonzalez. Neither pick seems appetizing. The pick is for the home team Yankees.
- The Tigers over the Red Sox: After beating the Yankees two out of three, the Red Sox are in a bit of a danger of a let down in the first game against the Tigers. Clay Buchholz has been great, but he's not as good at home and he has had problems with the Tigers before. Max Scherzer has been blazing lately. He must have good control this game.
- The Braves over the Marlins: Mark Buehrle will always keep his team in the game. But the Braves will score more runs than the Marlins and that is the pick here. Tommy Hanson is worrisome though.
- The Reds over the Padres: Winning or losing streaks are always hard to deal with here for this picker. Both have to end some time. The question is always, when? It should not be today. Mike Leake seems like a better pick than Edinson Volquez, though Volquez has been better of late.
- The Pirates over the Cubs: The Cubs are sure having fun being spoilers and today could be no different. This picker is just not comfortable going with Justin Germano as the starter. Erik Bedard isn't that much of a lock either, but at least he is a known quantity.
- The White Sox over the Twins: Cole De Vries hasn't been half bad for the Twins and the Twins are playing good baseball right now. But this should be Jose Quintana's game to win and the White Sox are playing well too.
- The Astros over the Brewers: The Astros are going to win two games in a row! Bud Norris will be better than Marco Estrada and even if he isn't, the Brewers' bullpen will blow it anyway.
- The Bay Rays over the Athletics: A.J. Griffin has been a revelation for the A's. But David Price has been so dominant and so good this season, he has to be the pick in every game he pitches.
- The Dodgers over the Diamondbacks: Trevor Cahill goes for the Diamondbacks and he simply hasn't been great for them all season. A lot of wasted picks have gone his way this season. Not that Aaron Harang is great to pick either, but he's usually reliable at home.
- The Mariners over the Blue Jays: This is as much a pick against Ricky Romero as it is a pick for the Mariners, who have been hot lately. Romero has been getting blasted and it is wondered here if he is hiding an injury. Hisashi Iwakuma is solid enough when he throws strikes and doesn't try to get too cute.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Giants over the Mets: Madison Bumgarner at home? Yes, please. Jeremy Hefner was good against the Nationals his last time out. But that seems the exception rather than the norm. The Giants at home and the Mets far from home is the pick.
Games of the Day: 63-47