After early day games yesterday, the picks stood at 4-0. The rest of the day did not go so well and only four more picks were correct over the course of the day. That was highly disappointing. Jon Niese out-dueled Matt Cain. Vance Worley did indeed get his act together after several bad starts. The picks worried about that with good reason. The Braves lost too. Seattle beat Toronto and the picks had it the other way around. The Royals beat the Indians in a series that could have anything happen. And Alex Cobb of the Rays pitched better than Jarrod Parker as the A's are cooling off. The bottom line ended up being a game over .500 and another loss for the Game of the Day. Boogers.
Thursday is a little on the light side as there are nine games on the schedule. At least a couple of them are day games, which is cool. Here are Thursday's picks:
- The Reds over the Padres: If these two teams played a hundred games, the Reds should win 95 of them. Johnny Cueto is already a Cy Young Award candidate and is pitching in a big ballpark against a team not noted for their bats. That should go well. Ross Ohlendorf is always a wild card.
- The Giants over the Mets: This series has been all Mets as either they have pitched really well or the Giants' bats have gone silent. The last game of the series gives the Mets, Barry Zito. That sounds good for the Mets, except they are pitching Chris Young. Tough one to call.
- The Braves over the Marlins: The Braves have stumbled a bit in this series and Nathan Eovaldi is a pretty good pitcher for the Fish. The pick just feels better with Mike Minor instead.
- The Red Sox over the Twins: Oh where have you gone, Jon Lester? Perhaps this will be the game you seem more like yourself. The Twins are raking pretty well, so time will tell. Sam Deduno had a great outing against the Indians. But...well...it was the Indians.
- The Rangers over the Angels: This game is so screwy to pick. First off, it will be Ryan Dempster's first start with the Rangers. How many big time traded pitchers won their first game out for their new team this season? None. The Angels counter with C.J. Wilson who hasn't fared too well against his old team. So which way do you go? After the way the Rangers kept after that game yesterday, you have to go with them.
- The Indians over the Royals: This is completely an ugh pick. Cory Kluber is being called up to pitch for the Indians. Who the heck is that!? He has good numbers at Triple A. Bruce Chen will slow, slower, slowest you to death and sometimes to his own team.
- The Cardinals over the Rockies: This series has been predictable as the Cards' two most soft-tossing starters bent but were rescued by their high-powered offense. Tonight, Lance Lynn will throw a bit harder but will probably need his team's bats to stay hot. Alex White was recalled from the minors to have another shot at the rotation...at Coors. Way to set up the young man for failure.
- The Blue Jays over the Athletics: The Blue Jays love fastballs. Bartolo Colon throws a lot of fastballs. Colon, or Shrek as he is called in our house, was decent his last time out. This game is all about how well Henderson Alvarez pitches. If Alvarez is good, the Blue Jays will win. If he isn't, they won't.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Phillies over the Nationals: Cole Hamels was awful his last time out. But it might have been a big contract hangover. That happens a lot. He should be better in this one and Ross Detwiler should give up a run or two more than him.
Games of the Day: 64-49