Holy crap! Yesterday was bad. Very bad. Two picks limped in. Two. It was an amazing day in this picker's ineptitude. None of the first place teams won that played. David Price couldn't get the Rays a win. The Cubs were saying goodbye to players the entire game and still scored fourteen runs and beat the Pirates. The Padres scored eleven runs. The Astros blew a late lead and for once, the Brewers' bullpen didn't blow it right back. Roy Oswalt was a stupid, stupid pick. The Mets beat the sloppy Giants despite a Madison Bumgarner start. It was bad--very, very bad.
The month can't end like this! The week can't stay in negative territory. This picker won't have it! With fierce determination, here are Tuesday's picks:
- The Yankees over the Orioles: Okay, Yankees, enough of these one-run losses. Time to get going again. Chris Tillman has been pitching good. But he should be no match for Ivan Nova. Come on, Nova. Concentrate on every pitch. You've got this. Enough already. Of course, it doesn't help that the Yankees are losing a player a day to injury. But still.
- The Nationals over the Phillies: Cliff Lee is scheduled to start. Will he still be on the team by tonight? Will it make any difference with Stephen Strasburg pitching?
- The Tigers over the Red Sox: Justin Verlander will be on the Tigers tonight. Will Josh Beckett, the scheduled Red Sox starter still be on his team? We will know in a few short hours. Either way, Verlander shuts them down.
- The Braves over the Marlins: Kris Medlin is scheduled to start for the Braves. But will Paul Maholm slide in here instead? It shouldn't matter either way as the Marlins are dead in the water of their fish tanks. Ricky Nolasco goes for the fish.
- The Reds over the Padres: Jason Marquis has put it together lately and the Padres put up eleven runs yesterday. Homer Bailey has been outstanding though and the Reds should win this one.
- The Rangers over the Angels: Jered Weaver is an ace. Got that. But the Rangers hit him hard already once this season. Derek Holland has ace-like stuff and every once in a while is unstoppable. Tonight will be one of those nights.
- The Pirates over the Cubs: Who thought that Ryan Dempster would still be on the Cubs by now? Heck, he might not be by tonight, but who knows. A.J. Burnett will win either way. Travis Snider is a nice pick up for the Buccos.
- The White Sox over the Twins: Francisco Liriano makes his first start for the White Sox against who? Why, his old team of course. Perhaps he has a bone to pick heading into this one. The Twins counter with Nick Heartburn...uh...Nick Blackburn.
- The Royals over the Indians: The Indians are the only team in the AL playing worse right now than the Royals, so the Royals have a chance in this one. Luke Hochevar pitches well and Derek Lowe gives up enough for the Royals to win.
- The Cardinals over the Rockies: Here was the thought process in this one: Kyle Lohse at Coors? Ugh. But the Cardinals could put up a bunch of runs. Jeff Francis has been the Rockies' best pitcher. Ugh. He could win this. But everything has gone wrong lately, so pick against yourself and pick the Cards. This job is fun, right?
- The Athletics over the Rays: It looks like James Shields is staying with the Rays, so he will make his start. But heck, those A's are hot. And Tommy Milone is killer at home. The Rays will have trouble scoring.
- The Diamondbacks over the Dodgers: Chris Capuano has been cracking big time of late. The D'backs are a hot offense. Not a good combination. Wade Miley in a big ballpark like the one in Chavez Ravine sounds more appetizing.
- The Mariners over the Blue Jays: The Mariners are rolling. Though they traded away some pieces yesterday. Jason Vargas has been very good. Aaron Laffey has been sort of a pleasant surprise after making fun of him earlier in the season. But he doesn't win this one.
- The Mets over the Giants: Matt Harvey! Harvey gets his second start against a Giants' offense that has been sputtering a bit. Tim Lincecum goes for the Giants and that is a crap shoot...has been all season.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Brewers over the Astros: Yovani Gallardo is supposed to be a good pitcher, right? Supposed to be is still a scary thought. Fortunately for the Brewers, Dallas Keuchel is going for the Astros and he has been struggling big time.
Yesterday: 2-10 ouch!