This Game of the Day thing is starting to really hit raw nerves here. The Game of the Day is not the most exciting or interesting game being played on a particular day. It is a pick that seems a virtual lock. After each game is picked, the one that seems the most comfortable is selected as the Game of the Day. Perhaps it should be called the sure pick of the day or something. But anyway, it is meant to be an easy one...a no-brainer. Last year, it worked out that way. More than twice as many of those particular picks were correct during the season than incorrect. This season? Not so much. Only ten of those picks have been correct in the last twenty-four days. Argh!
As for the rest of the picks, the day started with a 7-1 run only to finish at 9-6. The positive day was sort of good. But the results were disappointing in the end. And why is it that Jered Weaver only stinks against the Tampa Bay Rays? Holy crap does that team annoy this picker. And don't even mention the Cardinals around here. They never do what is expected. Oh well. It is what it is. Did you see how far Prince Fielder's first homer flew!?
Here are Saturday's picks:
- The Rangers over the Blue Jays: This is all reverse logic. Ryan Dempster was supposed to start, but he has personal issues and left the team. So Roy Oswalt will start and he has been awful. Meanwhile, Carlos Villanueva has only allowed more than three runs in a game once all season. So the Blue Jays should win. But they won't. The Rangers will because baseball makes no sense.
- The Reds over the Cubs: These two teams have two games today. The first game features Jeff Samardzija (on what appears to be short rest) against Johnny Cueto. Cueto is awesome this season. Have to go with him.
- The Red Sox over the Yankees: Jon Lester has been better of late, though he struggles against the Yankees. But the Red Sox are too good an offense to lose to David Phelps. At least that is the feeling from this cheap seat.
- The Cardinals over the Pirates: Lance Lynn has been as unpredictable as his team in the last couple of months. But his overall season is much better than Erik Bedard. The Cards' offense should shine in this one.
- The Diamondbacks over the Astros: This is the Astros' best chance to win a game in this series. Patrick Corbin is inexperienced for the D-backs but has been fairly effective. Jordan Lyles just goes out there every fifth day and competes no matter how bad his team is. But Lyles will still lose his tenth decision.
- The Tigers over the Orioles: Neither Zach Britton or Rick Porcello is worth feeling great enough to pick on their own merit. Both are disasters waiting to happen. Perhaps more disasters will befall Britton and hence the pick. Plus, the Tigers are at home and feeling good about themselves.
- The Nationals over the Mets: The Nats are towering right now. They just look awesome. The Mets? Not so much. Edwin Jackson is the weakest of the Nats' starters. And Jonathan Niese is a good pitcher. Tough game to call, but you have to pick the Nationals.
- The White Sox over the Royals: Paul Konerko is back. Jake Peavy is on the mound. All things look good for a White Sox win. But, that is on paper. Bruce Chen goes for the Royals who beat the White Sox yesterday.
- The Reds over the Cubs: Todd Redmond pitches for the Reds and Brooks Raley goes for the Cubs. Don't you just love double-headers? Ugh. Who knows with those two unknowns.
- The Phillies over the Brewers: The Phillies really are a bad team right now. But Cole Hamels is not one of the reasons. He should have a good day. The only question is if the Phillies can score any runs off of Mike Fiers. If you go with just the pitching match-up, Hamels is better.
- The Marlins over the Rockies: You know that Giancarlo Stanton will hit another homer. He loves him some good Coors Field. Nathan Eovaldi has some experience at Coors from his time with the Dodgers. The only question is how good Tyler Chatwood will be today. He is inscrutable.
- The Padres over the Giants: This is the upset pick of the day. Barry Zito simply hasn't been very good. Eric Stults has looked very good. So this will be a Padres' win providing they hit Zito, which they should.
- The Athletics over the Indians: Bartolo Colon is always tricky to pick. You know he will have good outings but there is always a clunker in there once in a while. The trick is predicting when it will be. This picker doesn't think it will be today. The Indians' offense is sort of not very good right now. And Cory Kluber is simply to risky to pick as the Indians' starting pitcher.
- The Angels over the Rays: This pick is almost the same as the Rangers' pick. C.J. Wilson has not been good for the last month and a half. Alex Cobb has been very good for the last month and a half. So that should make the pick easy. But it doesn't feel right. So the Angels are the pick. Heaven help this poor picker.
- The Mariners over the Twins: Tough game to call. Jason Vargas has been terrific, but so has Scott Diamond. The Twins have a slightly better offense. Going with Vargas.
And the Game of the Day!
- The Braves over the Dodgers: Aaron Harang will get harangued in Atlanta. Ben Sheets continues his improbable comeback and keeps the Dodgers' bats quiet.
Games of the Day: 72-57 grrr