Tuesday, July 23, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Tuesday: July 23, 2013

Between all the histrionics and hand-wringing, there was baseball played last night. I watched the ESPN broadcast of the Rangers and Yankees and was pretty disgusted that a third of that broadcast was based on Ryan Braun instead of what was going on in the field. I very nearly turned it off.

But at least I had a decent day with nine correct out of fifteen. I made a couple of stupid picks in the five that were incorrect. I remember even mentioning that pitchers always stink the game after a no-hitter and yet I still picked Tim Lincecum. Duh. I picked the Angels to win a Joe Blanton start. Duh. My belief in Josh Johnson was laughably misplaced.

But otherwise, it was a good picking night. The Seattle pick over Cleveland was brilliant. Here are Tuesday's picks:

  • The Reds over the Giants: The Reds and Giants play two games today. In this first one, it will be Tony Cingrani against Eric Surkamp. Surkamp pitched a bit for the Giants in 2011 but missed all of 2012. He has impressive minor league numbers but still walks too many for my taste. That is why I am going with Cingrani.
  • The Pirates over the Nationals: I like Gerrit Cole over Taylor Jordan. Jordan is a ground ball machine though and those guys can have really good nights once in a while. But Cole is a guy who can shut the Nats down.
  • The Reds over the Giants: The Giants must think the Reds cannot hit lefties as that is all they will get today. Barry Zito could get eaten alive though by the Reds offense, which is deep enough. The wild card here is the start by Greg Reynolds. Reynolds was the number 2 pick in all the nation back in 2006 but never panned out for the Rockies. He is having a brilliant minor league season and will not be a stranger to a Major League mound.
  • The Dodgers over the Blue Jays: Yesterday's game caused me to officially give up on the Blue Jays. Gosh, I thought they were better than they are. Todd Redmond will not last long and things are going so well for the Dodgers that even Chris Capuano is pitching well.
  • The Mets over the Braves: It was scaring me that I had not picked a home team to win as yet. The Mets are at home. But it is more than that. I like Carlos Torres, who at the age of 30, is not afraid, throws strikes and they are quality strikes. Kris Medlen goes for the Braves.
  • The Red Sox over the Bay Rays: Jon Lester has a lot of people scratching their heads, including me. He started out so well! But even a messed up Jon Lester is better than a Roberto Hernandez. Why do the Rays keep pitching him?
  • The Rangers over the Yankees: I cannot stomach any more of Vernon Wells / Travis Hafner playing every day. I just cannot. Play the kids already, for crying out loud. And it is time to DFA Eduardo Nunez. How many chances does one guy get? Phil Hughes will give up two or three homers and Alexi Ogando has an easy night.
  • The White Sox over the Tigers: Yeah. I know. And I swear that Hector Santiago and Jose Quintana are the same guy who just changes his name for different starts. But Rick Porcello is pitching and needs a new home. And if Miguel Cabrera sits...
  • The Astros over the Athletics: Yes, this will probably come back to haunt me. But Jarrod Cosart sure looked good in his first start against the Rays, a good team. I looked like a BABIP start though, so warnings there. Jarrod Parker goes for the A's.
  • The Brewers over the Padres: Tyson Ross goes for the Padres tonight. He is 0-4 for the season.  Tyson Ross is 6-22 in the Big Leagues. I cannot take those numbers. Instead I will go with ground ball machine, Donovan Hand.
  • The Cardinals over the Phillies: Shelby Miller has had some rest and should come out strong. Jonathan Pettibone has not done poorly for a young guy. But the Cardinals are a really tough test for any young pitcher.
  • The Rockies over the Marlins: As much as I like Jose Fernandez, I cannot see him conquering Coors Field. Jhoulys Chacin, however, knows how to pitch there.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Cubs: I have been aboard the Patrick Corbin train all season. Why stop now? By game time, Alfonso Soriano might be a Yankee. That will not help Travis Wood's chances any.
  • The Twins over the Angels: Gosh, Angels. I thought you were movin' and groovin' there for a while. Now you are back to the same old slow grind. Kyle Gibson has had only one real bad start (Yankees) but is your typical no-strikeout Twins pitcher. This pick is really against Tommy Hanson more than anything. I think the Twins will hit him.
  • The Indians over the Mariners: I like the move of putting Nick Swisher in the two-hole. That should work better. Zach McAllister is back. How good he will be is anyone's guess. I am guessing he will be better than Erasmo Ramirez.

And the Game of the Day:
  • The Orioles over the Royals: Jason Hammel and Bruce Chen are amazing in that they remain in the Majors year after year. Hammel has not won in a while and Chen, though terrible, is 3-0. He will be 3-1 after tonight.

Yesterday: 9-5
Week: 27-17
Month: 154-103
Season: 831-639
Games of the Day: 65-42

No comments: