The week is making a comeback and rebounding from that awful 1-9 Monday. Last night's ten out of fifteen correct put the week in the black for the first time since Sunday. And those ten correct picks were in spite of Madison Bumgarner getting no support from his team or his bullpen and the same thing for Cole Hamels of the Phillies. The latter meant a second straight disappointment for the Game of the Day feature too.
One other note from last night: Shelby Miller of the Cardinals was only able to record one out in the ballgame. But it was not because he was awful. Miller took a line shot off his pitching elbow that knocked him out of the game. While that was unfortunate because I picked him to win, it was much more so because the young pitcher has a great career ahead of him. I hope he is going to be okay.
There are only seven games on the schedule for today. Four of them are day games, which is pretty sweet. The picks:
- The Mets over the Rockies: Dillon Gee has cooled off from his hot streak a month ago. But he should still be good enough at home to get a win. MLB.com lists the Rockies' starter as TBA. But other sites list the starter as Tyler Chatwood. We'll find out soon enough.
- The Pirates over the Marlins: I love picking Jose Fernandez at home where he is an absolute lock to win. But it is a 50/50 proposition on the road. He did just strike out thirteen Pirates the last time he faced them though. The key for the Pirates is for Gerrit Cole to have a really good outing at home.
- The Cubs over the Phillies: Things did not go well at all for Ethan Martin in his first Major League start and debut. He should have a better outing today as the Cubs are not the Braves. But I am going with Jeff Samardzija who, when on his game, can be awesome.
- The Giants over the Brewers: No offense to Donovan Hand, but the guy seems a little snake bit. The pick depends on Tim Lincecum to pitch well, which he has done more often than not lately.
- The Tigers over the Indians: The Tigers have already taken the first three games of this big series in the Indians' home park and shoved them away as pretenders instead of contenders. And now the Indians face Max Scherzer. Despite Zach McAllister, game, set, match.
- The Dodgers over the Cardinals: This pick is not because the Dodgers are pitching Hyun-jin Ryu. Ryu is just ordinary away from Dodgers Stadium and the Cardinals can hit him. No, this pick is because despite all the talent the Cards have in the minors, they are starting 21 year old Carlos Martinez, who has pitched from the Cards' bullpen for the last two months.
And the Game of the Day:
- The Red Sox over the Royals: The Royals are a good team and have won eight of their last ten. But I cannot see Bruce Chen and his assortment of whiffleballs being able to hold back the Red Sox' lineup. Of course, if Jon Lester is not good, then this pick will be the third Game of the Day pick in a row to head south.
Games of the Day: 74-49 -2