Tuesday, August 13, 2013

MLB Game Picks - Tuesday: August 13, 2013

My apologies that this is late. I have bronchitis or something and slept in with a Nyquil coma. I woke up to find that yesterday was not a bad day with seven out of eleven correct. I came out on the wrong side of the Danny Salazar vs. Andrew Albers rookie shootout. I should have picked Chris Sale and the Marlins were just a dumb pick. And what do you know: Cole Hamels won a game. Oh well.

Since this is late, let's get right to Tuesday's picks:

  • The Yankees over the Angels: Jason Vargas has not pitched since mid-June and the Yankees are a little better set up to hit lefties with Soriano and A-Rod. It all depends on CC Sabathia and if he can pull himself out of this slump he is in.
  • The Giants over the Nationals: If I had to go head to head with Madison Bumgarner and Gio Gonzalez, I would have to pick Bumgarner. This could go either way though as both are capable of shut down outings.
  • The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: Ryan Dempster has been brutal at times this season and he faces a lineup with power, which is scary. But the bottom line for me is that the Red Sox should hit Todd Redmond even harder, especially the second or third time through the order when Redmond has shown weakness.
  • The Braves over the Phillies: Ethan Martin has had two big league starts. One was terrible and the other decent but with a lot of base runners. The Braves should feast on that. Kris Medlen is the question mark here. But Medlen should be better than Martin.
  • The Bay Rays over the Mariners: Erasmo Ramirez is 3-0. That's great! Uh. No. His ERA sits at 7.13 and his WHIP at 1.50. He is the poster boy of those who say wins are meaningless. Chris Archer should come out on top here. But the Rays are in a tailspin of sorts.
  • The Reds over the Cubs: The last time I picked Jeff Samardzija to win, he got bombed. Today I pick against him and he will win, just watch. I have to go with Homer Bailey and the Reds in this one.
  • The Twins over the Indians: These are two teams I just cannot figure out this season. I always seem to get the wrong. Before, the only time the Twins won was when Samuel Deduno pitched. Then I picked him to win and he lost. Sigh. I am picking Sam Deduno again against Zach McAllister.
  • The Tigers over the White Sox: I am still convinced that Hector Santiago and Jose Quintana are the same guy. Has anyone ever seen them at the same time? Max Scherzer has to be the pick. Too bad all his wins don't mean anything.
  • The Royals over the Marlins: Jose Fernandez is not quite the same pitcher on the road as he is at home. At home, he is a lock. On the road, not so much. And Bruce Chen...Bruce freakin' Chen never seems to lose with his whiffle ball stuff.
  • The Cardinals over the Pirates: This is the Cardinals' big chance facing the Pirates at their home park. And they start off on the right foot with their ace, Adam Wainwright, on the mound. Charlie Morton has been good for the Pirates. I do not really know how, but he has.
  • The Rockies over the Padres: I have kicked this one to death in my mind. Do I really want to pick the Rockies when Jeff Manship is pitching? I mean, even his name is ridiculous. It is like Grace Slick started yet another band and called it Jefferson Manship. You know? Anyway, I am picking him anyway because who knows what will happen at Coors Field and Eric Stults never gives me any love anyway.
  • The Orioles over the Diamondbacks: The Orioles seem to have the kind of offense that can exploit a younger pitcher of talent like Randall Delgado. And Miguel Gonzalez is probably one of the better pitchers than nobody ever hears about.
  • The Athletics over the Astros: It is only fair that the A's get some Astros love since the Rangers had them all weekend. Bartolo Colon over Jordan Lyles and his Wagoneers.
  • The Dodgers over the Mets: The future debate of Rookie of the Year lies here in this match up of Matt Harvey against Hyun-jin Ryu. As much as I dread picking against Harvey, who is the better of the two in my opinion, Ryu is pretty unbeatable at home and I like that he has cut down on his walks and has only walked one in his last three starts. This should be fun to watch.

And the Game of the Day:
  • The Rangers over the Brewers: I know the old saying goes that on any given day...yada yada. But the Rangers should never lose to the Brewers. Ever. Alexi Ogando has not exactly been slinging the ball effectively, however, and Marco Estrada has been better. I am still going with the Rangers.

Yesterday: 7-4
Week: 18-8
Month: 99-60
Season: 1002-773
Games of the Day: 77-51    +2

No comments: