Friday, April 25, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Friday: April 25, 2014

Yesterday was a disaster. Only three games came out right. Sabathia actually pitched okay in Boston. Huh? The Yankees rolled. Drew Hutchison pitched great. But then he went out of the game. By the time Wagner, Cecil and Rogers were done, the O's scored nine runs and ruined it all. Heath Bell and Brian Wilson were absolutely terrible in their outings for the Rays and Dodgers respectively. Both hacked up those picks. It was ugly. And will the Pirates and Cardinals ever score!?

Here are Friday's picks. May they be much better:
  • The Yankees over the Angels: The Yankees' OPS is 130 points higher against left-handed pitching than the other way around. So C.J. Wilson fits right into their hands. I like Hiroki Kuroda at home.
  • The Orioles over the Royals: Ubaldo Jimenez has been awful. Yordano Ventura has a terrific arm. But this is a trap. The Orioles are going to win despite all the signs pointing otherwise.
  • The Nationals over the Padres: This pick didn't work out yesterday and I never seem to get a win from Stephen Strasburg when I pick him. But, sheesh, he should never lose to the Padres. Robbie Erlin goes for the Friars.
  • The Red Sox over the Blue Jays: The Red Sox just got smoked at home by the Yankees. Jake Peavy is hit or miss. Mark Buehrle has been spectacular. So why pick the Red Sox then? Because it is a trap I tell you.
  • The Mets over the Marlins: The Mets have been hot and just had a great series. Zack Wheeler is getting better and better. Henderson Alvarez might have been great his last outing. But I have been fooled by him before that way.
  • The Braves over the Reds: Homer Bailey will strike out eleven Braves batters and the Braves will still win. It's unbelievable that way. This Braves team is unlike any I have ever seen before. Ervin Santana starts tonight.
  • The Brewers over the Cubs: Carlos Villanueva has been brutal his last two starts. Naturally, I would expect that to go against me if I picked against him. But I like Matt Garza and the Brewers at home against a Cubs team that struggles on offense.
  • The Tigers over the Twins: The Twins have been such a surprise so far. It is hard to pick against them. But Kevin Correia does not do it for me and Rick Porcello is getting better all the time.
  • The Athletics over the Astros: Jesse Chavez is my new toy. So much so that I picked him up in my fantasy team. Go Jesse go! Brad Peacock goes for the Astros. Yeah, I don't think he'll win either.
  • The Rays over the White Sox: Chris Archer was great his last time out. Then again it was the Yankees which are his personal toy. The rest of his outings have been kind of crappy. Erik Johnson was better his last time out too. Somebody has to win.
  • The Cardinals over the Pirates: The two coldest hitting teams in the Majors. One of them has to break out of it, right? Gerrit Cole, when he isn't yelling at an outfielder that styles on a homer...is giving up that homer. Shelby Miller has been a mystery. Taking the home team.
  • The Phillies over the Diamondbacks: I just don't know who to pick here. Roberto Hernandez in AZ? Ugh. Josh Collmenter as a starter? Ugh. The Phillies are playing well and the Dbacks have started to get on track a little bit. I don't know.
  • The Rockies over the Dodgers: How improbable has Jordan Lyles been so far? Keep riding him? Expect the worse? Why did I start doing this five years ago? Josh Beckett goes for the Dodgers and anything can happen there.
  • The Mariners over the Rangers: This might be a stupid pick. But I think Roenis Elias will pitch better than Robbie Ross will. Does that mean I'll be correct? Seattle has no bullpen lately.
And the Game of the Day
  • The Giants over the Indians: I have no faith in Carlos Carrasco. And probably more of my picks for Tim Hudson have been correct over the years than for any other pitcher.
Yesterday: 3-8, Games of the Day: 10-11, Season: 186-144

No comments: