Tuesday, May 27, 2014

MLB Game Picks - Tuesday: May 27, 2014

I had a wonderful weekend with my wife and enjoyed myself. While I was doing so, the game picks were withering on the vine (cliche alert). Yesterday was awful. Jeff Samardzija won a game. The Red Sox won a game. The Yankees beat the Cardinals. None of which I picked to happen. The latter was the game of the day, which is back to two games under .500. And that is just a little of what went wrong. Multiply those things by five and you have my day. Awful. But at least I had a wonderful weekend.

A lot of people still come to read these daily picks. At this point, it must be out of morbid curiosity. Well, here comes some more. Tuesday's picks:
  • The Phillies over the Rockies: One of the few things I was correct about yesterday was the no-hitter waking the Phillies up. They totaled the Rockies yesterday and will beat them again today behind Cole Hamels. Jorge De La Rosa will be on the short end.
  • The Nationals over the Marlins: Blake Treinen has had one good start and one bad start for the Nats. He should get his first win today. Henderson Alvarez is much better at home and a big risk to pick away from Miami. Giancarlo Stanton is the bomb though.
  • The Blue Jays over the Bay Rays: It's hard to pick against Mark Buehrle this year. After all, the guy is 8-1. I keep waiting for him to regress and that worries me. Alex Cobb picked up where he left off in his first start off the DL.
  • The Red Sox over the Braves: The Red Sox are officially over the hump now with their win yesterday. Now that dark cloud is gone, Jon Lester can come in and shut down the Braves and the Red Sox can tee off on Aaron Harang.
  • The Mets over the Pirates: The Pirates need to get Edinson Volquez out of their rotation. He is just not good enough to justify going back to that well over and over. Jon Niese, on the other hand, is a very solid starter.
  • The Brewers over the Orioles: The Orioles surprised me by winning yesterday and they did not have Chris Davis in the lineup (paternity leave). I don't often pick Matt Garza but I am going to here over Wei-Yin Chen.
  • The White Sox over the Indians: It's hard to believe that the White Sox are closer to the top of the division than the Indians. The Indians have to count as a major disappointment thus far. Chris Sale over Justin Masterson.
  • The Astros over the Royals: The Royals have me all kerfuffled. I simply cannot figure them out. I do know that George Springer is the real deal and is crunching. Jeremy Guthrie should look good to Mr. Springer. Collin McHugh goes for the Astros.
  • The Cardinals over the Yankees: I won't pick this as my game of the day, but I still think that Lance Lynn is going to be better than David Phelps. The Yankees only hope is if the Cardinals' pitcher has a lynning.
  • The Diamondbacks over the Padres: If the Diamondbacks can drub Tyson Ross, they can do the same to Eric Stults. And Wade Miley is another guy I keep picking against like he was still bad like last year. He's not. Since I wrote about Seth Smith the other day, he's gone 2-16 with no walks.
  • The Athletics over the Tigers: Will Max Scherzer turn this Tigers' staff around, or will he continue the rotation woes with another bad start? Will it matter either way if Sonny Gray does his thing?
  • The Angels over the Mariners: Jered Weaver has been on a roll. But the Mariners beat the Angels yesterday. So I don't know. Roenis Elias goes for the M's and he has been pretty good.
  • The Dodgers over the Reds: The Dodgers' rotation is on some kind of ride right now. Zack Greinke could join the party. Alfredo Simon has been solid all year for the Reds though.
  • The Giants over the Cubs: This seems like a no-brainer with Tim Hudson facing Jake Arrieta gentille Arrieta. But nothing about baseball is that simple.
And the Game of the Day:
  • The Rangers over the Twins: Phil Hughes has been a pleasant surprise for the Twins and is having a very good season. But he is no Yu Darvish. I think the Rangers will win by a couple here.
Yesterday: 5-10, May: 187-170, Games of the Day: 25-27, Season: 420-342

No comments: